Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Defence Corps & the RFC

GWRCo

Hi all,

trying to find out info on the role of the RDC in connection to them manning the RFC's emergency landing grounds. As far as i can ascertain, the RDC looked after and maintained them, made them available 24hrs, etc, but their accom would normally be tents! I'm particularly interested in the landing grounds for Essex...can anyone help?

Tim

More protection than maintenance.

See this previous thread

(Not RFC-specific.)

There are others on the GWF.

They might well have guarded German PoWs engaged in maintaining airfields.

Interesting that you should specify "emergency landing grounds", as those that come to mind were usually just fields. Perhaps a few RDC members were deployed to them when they might be needed and checked they were safe: no cattle, branches etc that might impede landings.

4 hours ago, GWRCo said:

Hi all,

trying to find out info on the role of the RDC in connection to them manning the RFC's emergency landing grounds. As far as i can ascertain, the RDC looked after and maintained them, made them available 24hrs, etc, but their accom would normally be tents! I'm particularly interested in the landing grounds for Essex...can anyone help?

Tim

Hi

The attached document, dated 28 September, 1916, from AIR 1/1816/204/178/6 may be of interest even if it does not answer your question, it refers to VTC being used as well as RFC personnel.

Mike

015.JPG.87c2f5aff026d60ef6d32219ef2825b4.JPG

016.JPG.72e702292f18b5400dcdba1d172b4892.JPG

That's a great document, Mike, thanks for posting.

"VTC" indicates the Volunteer Training Corps, WWI's equivalent of the Home Guard. Training consisted of some rifle practice, a little close-order drill and the occasional Field Day or so of exercise. Duties included guarding public works and military establishments and supporting Regular and Territorial troops during an emergency.

Ever the pedant, I note that the National Archives document refers to "landing ground", whereas Tim mentioned "emergency landing grounds". I suspect that such grounds could have had a variety of functions.  See this old thread Market Lavington landing ground.

As far as I know, none of the Wiltshire grounds had any infrastructure, though there might have been a hut or two for equipment and shelter.,