Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regt DCM MM

Paul Reed

i know a nice place for lunch in t'hills above oldham  :)

harribobs,my missus wants to ask you a question[shes ex gestapo]she asks,why do men always have cover stories for, GOING FOR A PINT,bernard

harribobs,my missus wants to ask you a question[shes ex gestapo]she asks,why do men always have cover stories for, GOING FOR A PINT,bernard

you're both very welcome bernard! but i bet she doesn't fancy a couple of hours in chaddy library over a hot micro fiche machine! :D

seriously, this raises the north west pals meet-up again, but don't expect me to live up to Dave's standards! i'll just drive you past john willie lees brewery! :lol:

Paul

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction - L/Cpl W. Coltman V.C., a stretcher-bearer in the North Staffordshire Regiment. He was the most decorated soldier of the first world war, in addition to his Victoria Cross he was awarded the DCM and Bar and the MM and Bar.

Apologies for intruding on your thread.

Regards Geoff

harribobs are you on here,bernard

,why do men always have cover stories for, GOING FOR A PINT,bernard

Whereas my partner just says she's off for a drink with her mates. On occasions, it's been days before she comes back.

John

• 8 months later...

Sjt Curran J 38544

Forfeited his medals, but on appeal was issued his DCM & MM only.

This also happened to 301 Pte John Ward, 2nd Manchesters but he lost all medals and awards.

Pte 301 John Ward should be added to this list, he served pre-war with 2nd & later 17th battalions of the Manchester Rgt. He also won both awards, but forfeited them in 1919 after court martial.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sent a copy of Paul's photo this week to 301 Pte John Ward's daughter, sadly she says it is not him but thanked all for their help with my research enquiry.

Still looking and searching, Rodge

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Curran was a mate of my grandfather (also ex-Manchesters). My ol' feller remembers meeting him regularly. Small world.

Guest LRR Mountford
Paul/John

If the shoulder title is just Manchester, rather than a City Battalion title, that should narrow it down somewhat

I have the DCM citations for the regiment at home, if i get chance tonight i'll have a look to see if the SB bit is a clue

i'll (probably) be seeing david next week, so i could ask the question for you

chris

Hi Chris

Sorry to jump in but I am looking for a DCM citation for a FJ Humphrey from the Manchester Reg, I think sometime in 1917, who later became a yeoman of the Guard. Any chance you can help. My e-mail address is lmountf101@aol.com.

Many thanks

Les Mountford

I notice that everyone buys the DCM in addition to the [obvious] MM. Just as well, because the DCM should be worn inboard of the MM [as in this thread] whereas no camapign ribbon should be.

Les,

London Gazette 29-8-1917

1326 Sjt. (A./C./Q./M./S.) F. J. Humphrey, Manch. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in action, he used a Lewis gun himself with great effect, and, later, when all the Lewis guns were out of action and many of the teams had become casualties, he collected and repaired the guns and re-organised the team, getting four guns into action again.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The Gazette does not identify places or dates at this point, but others may be able to help.

If no-one has details on which Battalion he was with the details should be on his DCM card which is available from the download page of the first "See Details" link of the two MICs in the link below (£3.50 download for each card)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

You might want to save your money until you're sure no-one else already has the information.

Steve.

i see steve is in first with his usual speed and accuracy!! :D

Sergt Humphrey was 1st battalion and won his DCM in Italy (Italy??? well so it says in battalion history), i will have a look and see if i can find the date of the action

Sergt Humphrey was 1st battalion and won his DCM in Italy (Italy??? well so it says in battalion history), i

Can't be right, can it? I was sure 1/Manc wasnt in Italy

exactly

he's on the 14 star medal roll as 1st battalion, so they've claimed his gallantry medals

if Ian has got his MIC i can check out VM roll entry

It seems, 1326 Sjt. (A./C./Q./M./S.) F. J. Humphrey was awarded for action during the Mesopotamia campain.

John

Page 1 of the gazette.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for gallantry and distinguished service in the Field, in Mesopotamia: —

that makes more sense....

there's a reference to an action on the 5/11 near tekrit that sounds a possibitity