Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ted Taylor 10th Battery

sparky29

I have found this photo of an unknown person after clearing out my mothers house. I don't know whether it is 1st or second world war era but I'm sure some of you experts will know straight away.

The front of the photo has hand writing on it saying your sincerely Ted and on the back in the same hand writying says Taylor 10th Battery.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what era this photo was taken. All I could find out was that 10th Battery was in suspended animation.

Many thanks for any information

Ted Taylor.jpg

Taylor 10th Battery.jpg

Are you sure it says 10th. Battery on the back of the card?

104 Battery (often written CIV Battery) is another possibility to check up on.

aim

Looking on the original card (is it a photograph or a painting?) can you see if his shoulder title is RHA or RFA? I don't think it says RGA.

There are lots of Edward Taylor MICs, but you could narrow it down a bit if you knew which bit of the Artillery he was in.

He has two stripes, but at the moment we don't know if he got these before, during or after the war!

aim

I would read that as more likely 104 battery, which might point to 22nd Brigade RFA. A regular prewar unit. Checking the 1914 star medalroll for 22nd Brigade would confirm if a Taylor..with the unit in 1914.. as a one possibility.. The view of the full format of the back of the card might also suggest to a photopostcard expert something of its date/source. The unit was in South Africa in 1914 but returned to UK before going to France with 7th Division.

Edited by battiscombe

Thanks for your replies. I don't know anything about it as I found it in my mum's photos so it could well be 104 battery. 

It does appear to be a photocard

54 minutes ago, aim said:

aim

24 minutes ago, battiscombe said:

The view of the full format of the back of the card might also suggest to a photopostcard

57 minutes ago, aim said:

aim

27 minutes ago, battiscombe said:

The view of the full format of the back of the card might also suggest to a photopostcard

1590424034508124666779662198476.jpg

1 hour ago, aim said:

aim

36 minutes ago, battiscombe said:

shoulder titles.jpg

This is the best I could do with the shoulder titles photographed on macro and cropped

1 hour ago, battiscombe said:

I would read that as more likely 104 battery, which might point to 22nd Brigade RFA. A regular prewar unit. Checking the 1914 star medalroll for 22nd Brigade would confirm if a Taylor..with the unit in 1914.. as a one possibility.. The view of the full format of the back of the card might also suggest to a photopostcard expert something of its date/source. The unit was in South Africa in 1914 but returned to UK before going to France with 7th Division.

The picture is on one side of a postcard printed in the English language. I suggest it used to say:

POSTCARD

The message to be written here                 The address to be written here

This would mean that two-thirds of the picture is missing if it was a photographic reproduction. Perhaps it was a photograph of a painting?

aim

2 hours ago, aim said:

104 Battery (often written CIV Battery)

Pedants' corner - it was brigades that were often referred to by their latin numerals, numbered batteries invariably used arabic numerals. 104 Battery was, as stated already, in XXII Brigade.

Max

16 hours ago, aim said:

The picture is on one side of a postcard printed in the English language. I suggest it used to say:

POSTCARD

The message to be written here                 The address to be written here

This would mean that two-thirds of the picture is missing if it was a photographic reproduction. Perhaps it was a photograph of a painting?

aim

Would this be an actual photograph/ picture of Edward Taylor or a generic postcard sent by thousands? I know it's a remote possibility that with a common name like Edward Taylor that I could identify him but I don't want to throw it away. My wife has traced her family tree and I know how invaluable photographs of relatives can be.

Sparky, very common for photographers to ply their trade, print the result on a postcard and sell it to the soldiers.  We still have an unsent one where my grandfather (#8 in this photo of Australian battery reinforcements in Larkhill) made comments on who everyone was on the back and thankfully kept it with him.  So my guess is you have an original photograph of Ted Taylor, 104 Battery printed in postcard format - please treasure it!

image.png.a3199868ebcbdea352cd2b2e5eb5e6ec.pngimage.png.1cc6b59186781f9b495b9a6efcfcc4be.png 

Looking at the photo of Ted Taylor, can anyone suggest what the badge on his left breast might be? 

David.

4 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Sparky, very common for photographers to ply their trade, print the result on a postcard and sell it to the soldiers.  We still have an unsent one where my grandfather (#8 in this photo of Australian battery reinforcements in Larkhill) made comments on who everyone was on the back and thankfully kept it with him.  So my guess is you have an original photograph of Ted Taylor, 104 Battery printed in postcard format - please treasure it!

image.png.a3199868ebcbdea352cd2b2e5eb5e6ec.pngimage.png.1cc6b59186781f9b495b9a6efcfcc4be.png 

Many thanks for your reply.

That photo is excellent for anybody interested in family history.

My wife has been trying to trace her family history because her mothers background is complicated. Ideally we would reunite this piece of history with a living relative. She has access to ancestry.com but we didn't know where to start with this one. She would love to find something like this.

There are no Taylors in my family in the last 200 years so I have no idea why she had it or where it came from

Edited by sparky29
Mistake