Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

X Beach

kelly

Hi all

I need help by way of understanding if X beach continued to have a primary function after the initial landings on the 25th April

Are their any experts amongst us all who could help please

Not primary in the way that W Beach served as the main base area (including piers for landing reinforcements and stores) for the British, and V Beach for the French.

During the campaign there was a Field Ambulance near there and an associated cemetery,

but even at the evacuation X Beach played no part in the way that V & W Beaches did.

To expand a little on the above

X Beach provided a landing place allowing access for a flanking force, while the main thrust was at V & W Beaches; for this it worked very well.

After the initial landings however, the geography at X Beach made it less useful then either V or W.

The cove is not as large as the other two, being only just over 200 yards wide and the beach itself is only 25 yards wide (from sea to cliff). Because of the cliffs, access is restricted to the ramp road constructed by the Anson Btn, RND on the day of the landing. The seaward approach is hampered by shoals which allow a very narrow channel of access to the beach. Probably for this reason it was never used at night.

There was a discussion about using it at the evacuation, but that would have necessitated the use of navigation lights to guide access. Eventually the decision was made that the Turks would be bound to spot the activity, and react, noting that it was unusual being at night. Therefore the proposal to use it as an evacuation beach was dropped altogether.

This is the sketch map used by Captain Hughes Lockyer CB, RN in his 1936 booklet on the landing; it may help to illustrate some of the points raised in the previous post

313747635_XBeachmapfrmLockyerbooklet.jpg.390b6803c34669cd49fbf3520dbf998e.jpg

Another point is that X Beach is very exposed to the prevailing winds, with the northerly blowing down the coast here and the south westerly blowing almost straight onto the beach. Both winds can generate a fair bit of wave action, which combined with the shoals and the shallow rocky bottom that shelves out some distance thereabouts that Michael highlighted making it difficult to bring boats in to shore. 

There were numerous dug outs made in the cliffs above the beach as it was a good bit of real estate, given that it was sheltered from direct observation from the Turkish positions and the steep cliffs served as protection from indirect shelling.

X Beach was also connected to both W Beach to the south and Gully Beach to the north by the coastal road constructed later in the campaign. 

Cheers

Bill

1 hour ago, Eceabat said:

There were numerous dug outs made in the cliffs above the beach as it was a good bit of real estate, given that it was sheltered from direct observation from the Turkish positions and the steep cliffs served as protection from indirect shelling.

Several accounts note that 'X' Beach was a favourite destination for officers and men to take a safe evening stroll away from the 'rest camps' at Helles.

2 hours ago, Eceabat said:

X Beach was also connected to both W Beach to the south and Gully Beach to the north by the coastal road constructed later in the campaign. 

Bill,

The 'road' which you mention was the evacuation route for the 13th Division who, up to January 1916, had their Divisional HQ near Gully Beach.

There is a map in The Mitchell Report which suggests that they took the ramp at X Beach up to the cliff top, and continued their march to W Beach from that point overland, rather than along the beach, possibly due to damage done to the 'beach road' during the storms.

best regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

the direct overland route could also have been the quicker way to get to W Beach, rather than having to skirt around the coast. Part of the road to X Beach remains, but much has been lost to the sea over the years. 

Bill

1 hour ago, Eceabat said:

the direct overland route could also have been the quicker way to get to W Beach

You're right there Bill; in any event that was the quicker way to approach W

crop att.

198124770_MapcropHellesevacuationfrmMitchell.jpg.9f3afe67d838a571b6993209d41b0d73.jpg

Good morning to all that posted with regards to my question. I have learnt some new things from you all

I was not aware the Anson's constructed the path from the beach to the top of the cliff, this is most interesting

I have always wondered about the security of the area in so far as dugouts are concerned, by this I mean just what could the Turks see of the area from their positions and so can understand Horatio2's comments

Bill states something about a beach path/walk, is he actually saying one could walk from X beach to W beach skirting the shoreline

The maps are most welcome

Cannot thank you all enough for your help

For me X beach and the immediate area is a passion, with so much to learn

Regards

Garry

X Beach in: Gaskell, A. History of the medical unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli [pt 3]. Journal of the RN Medical Service vol 12 (1926); p.303.

"On November 22 [1915] Surgeons Cunningham, McEwan and Gow with twenty ratings arrived as reinforcements for the medical unit. The three field ambulances by now had become so reduced in numbers that the A.D.M.S. decided to abolish the original second and to call the original third the new second or “X beach ambulance,” the change to take place on December 1, Stanford taking charge of this “X beach ambulance” and Rivers losing his command. Part of this new “X beach ambulance” manned the old main dressing station in the olive grove."

On 26/05/2020 at 08:48, kelly said:

Bill states something about a beach path/walk, is he actually saying one could walk from X beach to W beach skirting the shoreline

The photograph below will give you some idea of the Beach Road to which Bill was referring

The photograph is taken from Alamy stock (hence the water-mark) and I regret that the exact location of this section of the road is not specified 

However, as you can see it continues on past at least a further two headlands

526238165_BeachRoadatHelles.jpg.e3a1eadf7216e8d35abfd5378580e73b.jpg

Copyright prevents my posting images from "Images of Gallipoli - Photographs from the collection of Ross J Bastiaan"  by PA Pedersen but I draw attention for the benefit of those who can access this book. Images on pp.112-120 show the construction, by Greek labourers, of the 'Officers' Walk' dugouts above 'X' Beach in the period from October 1915.

Picking up on seaJane's Post #12, p.119/120 are group photos of the interior of 'X' Beach Ambulance Officers' Mess. The photos in the book were taken by Surgeon Charles Henry Shinglewood TAYLOR MD RN, MO of Nelson Bn until January 1915 and with the RND Field Ambulances at Gallipoli.

48 minutes ago, Eceabat said:

That section of the coast road is just around from Tekke Burnu. 

Thanks Bill,

I've been through the section on Gallipoli (pages 3 to 94) in The History of the Corps of R E, Vol VI and strangely I can't find a ref to the building of the beach road.

Best regards

Michael

Hi Kelly and all, 

just to expand a fraction on the earlier posts, including on Michael's explanation as to why X Beach was not used as a logistics base.

Here are a couple of photos taken on May 28, one showing the road built by the Anson Bn leading off the beach, and the other looking down on the beach from its  southern end showing some of the reefs referred to in Lockyer's sketch. The water levels in the Aegean are somewhat down on seasonal averages, meaning the rocky ledges are exposed. 

BillIMG_1268.JPG.e08f6414a34bb57dec44dc733b1ef854.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

Hi All,

Once again I find myself so very grateful to everyones input. I have certainly learnt something from you all

Bill the photo's are brilliant

Michaeldr, your input has been invaluable

Maw, would I be correct in thinking there has been an amount of coastal erosion on the cliff face since 1915

To you all many thanks

There has indeed been a lot of erosion in the X Beach area, and over the past 10 years or so the road running down to the shore has in parts been washed away to the point it is difficult for foot traffic, and impossible for vehicles. 

There is little evidence of dugouts on the cliff face itself, though along the top of the cliff there are still many trenches, terraces and signs of shelters that have fallen in.

Bill 

What an interesting thread, kudos to all contributing. My father's uncle landed at X Beach with 2nd Royal Fusiliers on 25th April 1915, and was killed a month later; this thread is adding to my appreciation and understanding, thank you.

Cheers, Pat

Hi Pat, great to see and hear your input. X beach has fascinated me ever since my first visit. My grandad also landed there with the Border regiment along with Gully Spur its somewhere I want to spend some time at

Great information, photos and diagrams, everyone. I particularly like how Captain Hughes Lockyer's sketch refers to the beach as 'Implacable Beach.' Was that ever generally used to refer to it?

I have seen references to it as being Implacable Landing.

John Masefield called it such in his book published in 1916.

I've come across the expression in various publications over the years, though it might be a case of "secondary source creep"; I'd be very interested to know if it had genuine currency amongst those who were there (or thereabouts).

Cheers, Pat

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

I'd be very interested to know if it had genuine currency amongst those who were there (or thereabouts).

See post No.2 here

Quote:

GRO 133 dated 10 May 1915:

The General Commanding has ordered that "X" Beach will in future be known as "Implacable" Beach and that this name shall be added to those mentioned in General Routine Order 101 of 2nd May, 1915, to mark the great assistance rendered by H.M.S. "Implacable" (Captain H.C. Lockyer, R.N.) at "X" Beach and the gallantry of the officers and men of the Royal Navy at all the Beaches.