Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22713 Charles G Reader

joerob

Hello

When I try to find a record of any memorial to Private 22713 Charles G Reader who died 26 May 1916 while serving with 2nd Batt KOYLI  they don't exist.

I can find His grave in Authville  cemetery France, but cant find him listed on any local Remembrance memorials where he was born or lived and he is not recorded in National Roll of the Great War and I cant find him at the KOYLI museum website.  I have tried Gateshead and Newcastle councils without any success.

Are all WW1 deaths remembered on a memorial ? can you suggest anywhere else I could try.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

7 minutes ago, joerob said:

Hello

When I try to find a record of any memorial to Private 22713 Charles G Reader who died 26 May 1916 while serving with 2nd Batt KOYLI  they don't exist.

I can find His grave in Authville  cemetery France, but cant find him listed on any local Remembrance memorials where he was born or lived and he is not recorded in National Roll of the Great War and I cant find him at the KOYLI museum website.  I have tried Gateshead and Newcastle councils without any success.

Are all WW1 deaths remembered on a memorial ? can you suggest anywhere else I could try.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

I've moved this post to a more appropriate section (otherwise it would get deleted after 30 days).

Craig

• ss002d6252 changed the title to 22713 Charles G Reader

People had to be added to memorials, they weren't an automatic thing. Local communities, organisations etc would decide whether they wanted a memorial and who would be listed on it.

The National Roll is far from complete - I believe a person had to submit a man for remembrance in it.

Was he from Elswick ? - http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=11722

Craig

Thanks again Craig cant believe your response I have been trying for weeks to get information on it, I see it closed in 1968, but I will contact the link on the site to see if its whereabouts are know.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for that information I had found he was accidentally killed but that's as much as I could find, now we know he was accidentally shot makes you think he survived horror in the trenches every day then die as " accidentally shot" shame we will never know the circumstances but I have learned about him and now have a picture.  Was it from the Chronicle fallen soldiers articles if so do you have the date I am just curious if I can get a copy.

Thanks again Joe

3rd June 1916

The war diary shown the battalion  were out of the line on the 26th May 16

a training accident perhaps

The war diary can be downloaded for free  at the national archives during the present pandemic 

(you will have to register first)

Ray