Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Medical Records for private Patrick O'Byrne

Paul Gerard OReilly

I am searching for the WWI Medical Records for private Patrick O'Byrne - member of the 7th Leinster - service number 3612.
Date of Invaliding sometime in June 1916...most likely 27th June 1916, following a raid into German trenches.

Where should I start ?

Background; according to the Silver War Badge (SWB) records dated 29th Nov 1916 private Patrick O'Byrne

was enlisted to the 16th Division Army Cyclist Corps - on 28-May-1915, with Service  number - 7565   

He transferred to the 7th Leinster Infantry Regiment  with service number 3612 on 1-June-1916 when

the Cyclist Corps  was disbanded.

Your previous posts on this soldier.

It seems likely that there simply are no medical records for him. The usual online resources have nothing. That could change in the future when/if more records are digitised but no guarentee on that.

I see on Fold3 he has 2 MICs, an older type card with unusual remarks about 'unit for stamping unless medals returned' then more comments which are crossed out. Also an address;

2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers,

Connaught Barracks,

Dover?

Address is also crossed out so may be irrelevant. Not sure he would be serving circa 1921 while with a pension for a 20% disability having been discharged in 1916.

TEW

2 minutes ago, TEW said:

It seems likely that there simply are no medical records for him. The usual online resources have nothing. That could change in the future when/if more records are digitised but no guarentee on that.

I see on Fold3 he has 2 MICs, an older type card with unusual remarks about 'unit for stamping unless medals returned' then more comments which are crossed out. Also an address;

2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers,

Connaught Barracks,

Dover?

Address is also crossed out so may be irrelevant. Not sure he would be serving circa 1921 while with a pension for a 20% disability having been discharged in 1916.

TEW

The pension is an interesting point - they paid them to Class Z men who may have to come back to serve but I'm not aware of any qualification for man to get a disability pension whilst he was serving.

Craig

Are the medical records held at Kew in London ?

According to the Silver War Badge (SWB) records dated 29th Nov 1916,  private Patrick O'Byrne was

invalided out of the army on 18 Oct 1916.  The Cause of Discharge is Paragraph 393 (xvi) Kings Regulations (K.R.)

I'm fairly certain he did not return to service after 18 Oct 1916.   I don't know when his pension payments began but I

do remember him collecting it here in Dublin in his 70's when I was a young boy.

I still believe there are no medical records for him.

TEW

Medical records were the province of each individual hospital and in any cases, due to sheer bulk of holdings, the closed records were simply cleared out at some point in the 1920s. Records surviving will be included in the Discovery catalogue whether they are held in Kew or located elsewhere.

For example, some of Craiglockhart's admission and discharge registers are available at TNA Kew in MH106, but Claybury Hospital Records are in London Metropolitan Archives, and some hospital records no longer exist at all.

There are actually some Medical Sheets in MH106 for Leinster Regt. O'BYRNE does not have one but just to confuse the issue Discovery has 'Leicestershire' in the Catalogue Description as well.

These records and others in MH106 may well be digitised one day and be available online, at present it's a post-lockdown visit.

An example from Discovery;

Folio(s): 360-365.

Name: William James Smith.

Unit/Battalion/Regiment: 7 The Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)

Service number: 1775.

Date of Admission: 16/05/1916.

Date of Discharge: 11/01/1917.

Hospital(s): No.3 General Hospital, Le Treport; Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley; Red Cross Military Hospital, Maghull.

Condition/Injury/Disease: Hemiplegia and Mania; Neurasthenia.

Details and Outcome: Enlisted September 1914. Patient admitted suffering with mania. Patient attended hospitals in France and England. Further details given. Patient has a history of being in an asylum. Discharged by the Medical Board as permanently unfit for further military service 11/01/1917. Contains patient's medical history. Includes three medical case sheets and three notes.

Number of Pages: 6.

TEW

I'll be in London in October so I'll visit KEW (hopefully lockdown is lifted by then ! )

Thanks