Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war pensions

joerob

Hello

Can anyone please help with the following.

A soldier died overseas and had no dependants,  his farther received his War Gratuity, would a pension be paid to the father or was the Gratuity the only payment. If a Pension was paid where would I be able to access the records.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Joe 

5 minutes ago, joerob said:

Hello

Can anyone please help with the following.

A soldier died overseas and had no dependants,  his farther received his War Gratuity, would a pension be paid to the father or was the Gratuity the only payment. If a Pension was paid where would I be able to access the records.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Joe 

The father could potentially claim as a dependant in respect of the pension.

Who is the soldier ?

Craig

Hello Craig

Its 22713 Charles G Reader, I am try to follow his pension payments to try and confirm his mother was still alive in 1945 as army records show his father received the war gratuity  and that his mother was dead, I think her being recorded as dead is a mistake.  In The event of his fathers death would the pension have passed to his mother ( She still being alive ).

Thanks Joe

5 minutes ago, joerob said:

In The event of his fathers death would the pension have passed to his mother ( She still being alive ).

She would need to claim it.

The pension records only cover a small subset of time in most cases and are far from comprehensive (the case files, for example, no longer survive for most cases).

His mother was the original pension claimant, it was later updated to her being deceased. This is a separate thing to the war gratuity so both departments would have had to have been told she was dead.
https://www.fold3.com/image/669473132?terms=1019,22713,reader

Craig

Who can I contact to see if any records still exist for him, the confusing thing is we are convinced his mother didn't die until 1945

Thanks Joe

7 minutes ago, joerob said:

Who can I contact to see if any records still exist for him, the confusing thing is we are convinced his mother didn't die until 1945

Thanks Joe

Any surviving records are already public - there's no more surviving (pension related) than I posted above.

Craig

It looks like her and Charles were still living together on in 1939.
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=nWt1097&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=61596&gsfn=isabella&gsln=reader&cp=0&gskw=newcastle&mssng=charles&new=1&rank=1&uidh=784&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=0&h=17736651&recoff=&ml_rpos=1&queryId=93c0380ea6595b07ea5900dd381fb223

The deceased notation on the card is likely a clerical error - they may have asked for the claim to be swapped over and someone has thought she was deceased.

Craig