Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GERMAN P O W

ZIL

I NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE AGAIN PLEASE.I AM RESEARCHING A GERMAN PRISONER OF WAR GABRIAL MUNCH. HIS ICRC CARD SHOWS THE NUMBERS 186/10 AND UNDERNEATH 114.

I BELIEVE THIS WAS HIS REGIMENT BUT HAVE SEARCHED IN VAIN.

ANY ASSISTANCE REALLY APPRECIATED.

ZIL

Hello,

1. Please do not shout.

2. If you don't give full details (name etc), how are we supposed to be able to help?

Jan

apologies Jan...I was not shouting..I put it in capitals so it reads easier...I stand corrected...apologies.

i put as much detail as I had...Zil

Charlie,

yes that’s the man..the only details that I had....this is the first time that I have researched a German soldier so was unsure of what numbers etc were correct.

Zil

Hello,

I notice now that I had missed the name in the original post. But anyway, he was indeed serving in 10 Company, Infanterie-Regiment 186. 114 is most probably his roll number within the company (Kriegsstammrollen-Nummer).

Jan

Thanks Jan....can you advise where to search to see what they were doing in WW 1? Munch was a Pow in Scotland on an island called Raasay.He died in 1919 from the flu pandemic...was buried on the island but in the 1960,s exhumed along with others and reinterred in the German Cemetery ,Cannock Chase,Staffordshire.

Zil

Hi

Not much more than you already know but here is my research on the man, buried at Cannock in Block 14. Grave 450.

MÜNCH

Gabriel Münch was born on Thursday 18 January 1894.

He served as Musketier 114 in 10th Kompanie, 186th Infanterie Regiment and was interned in Raasay prisoner of war working camp, Isle of Raasay.

Münch was admitted to hospital on Tuesday 11 February 1919 suffering with influenza and succumbed on Monday 17 February 1919 to influenza and pneumonia.

He was originally buried in Raasay Isle Cemetery, Portree, Inverness-shire in Grave B.1.1.3A (3/1).

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

This helps...I am researching this lad for a German friend.I have checked for the 186 and found that they were in the Thiepval /Mametz area 2,3,4th July 1916. Obviously not conclusive but again maybe part of the gigsaw. Thanks again..will keep looking.

Zil

Gabriel Münch‘s entry in the casualty lists is dated 2nd Aug 1916. The casualty lists were usually 6 - 8 weeks behind the event, which would indicate that he was captured beginning to middle of June. I don‘t know what happened but a very large number of the 3rd Bn IR 186 are recorded in the same list as Münch as missing. There is a published history of the regiment but unfortunately it is not available online.

Thanks charlie2, That’s great information..my source was Jack Sheldon...German Army on the Somme...showing if I’ve read it right that 186 were reserves brought in to replace losses. No matter I now have a date thanks to you and a location.

Zil

Hello,

He must have been captured on the Somme, IR 186 was in the Chapagne (French front) until mid  June and then in reserve until 1 July. Doesn't any of the Red Cross references give a date and place of capture?

Jan

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Doesn't any of the Red Cross references give a date and place of capture?

Unfortunately not, the only date on the RC card is 02.August the date the card was created, which is the same date as the Verlustlisten.

Charlie

I‘ve cross referenced some of the names from the 02.August Verlustlisten with the post war Vermisstenliste, The Vermisstenliste records them all as going missing at Contalmaison/Fricourt on 03.07.1916. Jan was correct.

Attached is a screen shot showing part of the Vermisstenliste

Charlie

BFFEBF89-AC86-4FC5-945A-86FA25C658B3.jpeg

Yes, they should have worked better...

Unfortunately this did happen a lot of times.

A sincere thank you to one and all for all the hard work.The information regarding Fricourt/Contalmaison ties in with Jack Sheldon.These are areas my friend and I are very familiar with.I find it ironic that this lad was captured sent to Scotland..to a then remote island Raasay along with 260 others...to die in 1919 from the flu pandemic that swept the globe.
Many thanks Zil