Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

aillyb

Royal garrison artillery no service number

aillyb

Hi all,

im just wondering if any of you could be of any help.My grandad Patrick Burke from Dublin Ireland served in the British army before and during world war one.I think I have traced him but without a service number its very hard to tell.The reason i think he served in the Royal Garrison Artillery is because on the 1911 census he is listed as a reservist gunner for the RGA (at the time I had no idea what the RGA stood for and I had been researching irish regiments only)

While doing a search on Ancestory I came across pension records for a Patrick Burke from Donnybrook  (service number 21295)which is where he lived ..the birth date is slightly off but i know this is common but the records also said gunner in the RGA whiich matched the census.The address is  also not the correct number a 10 instead of 104 but this could just be an obmission?

I am now not sure where to go from here. I ahve a service  number but I cant be sure for positive that its his I need some way of cross referencing this ..any ideas?

I downloaded the pension record from Fold3 .There are alist of details under other actions byt they dont make much sense to me ...P.E    PA        AJS       Trihouse of Lords..

I do know that my grandad did a tour of China prior to the war ..where can I locate prewar records? 

I was also wondering was there a Dublin base of the RGA .....Im wondering why he didnt join an irish regiment or where they only set up for the war?

While  i  can find results for this service number search under  medal card and pension records I cant find anything in service records ..is this normal?

he was given a house for ex service men in Killester in Dublin in 1942 would this be on record anywhere with his service number?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me.His medals are long gone as are all his children and as the second youngest of his grandchildren I strangely enough seem to know the most.I feel I owe it to my late father to give this my very best shot

Michelle Young
ss002d6252
13 minutes ago, aillyb said:

While doing a search on Ancestory I came across pension records for a Patrick Burke from Donnybrook  (service number 21295)which is where he lived ..the birth date is slightly off but i know this is common but the records also said gunner in the RGA whiich matched the census.The address is  also not the correct number a 10 instead of 104 but this could just be an obmission?

#21298 RGA was issued 1904 so #21295 would be around that time - it would be typical for a person to enlist around the age of 18, the earliest they typically could without needing dispensation.
Service would be 3 & 9 - so 3 years service and 9 years as a reservist.

There are alist of details under other actions byt they dont make much sense to me ...P.E    PA        AJS       Trihouse of Lords..

They're all just admin codes which don't add anything to what you're trying to find out.

Craig

Keith_history_buff

Would there be a corresponding entry for him in "Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942" that could give a precise enlistment date?

travers61

A thread on the Killester houses is here & includes offer of access to a list of original residents.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/132725-killester-dublin/?tab=comments#comment-1261548