Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Killed at Ypres, Remembered at Arras?

Minefield Mc

Sapper 112518 Richard ELLISON, who served  with 172nd Tunnelling Coy RE was reported missing at The Bluff, Ypres on 16th February 1916  and this is recorded  as such in the unit war diary. I have noted that Sapper Ellison in commemorated on the Arras Memorial and the CWGC website also records his death as being on 16th February 1916. I have heard of cases like this before, but,  I wondered why this might be and as to whether other pals have come across such anomalies where a soldier is remembered on a memorial so far away.

A mistake in Richard's case. He was originally not listed at all and only seems to have been added when a former CWGC employee acquired his memorial plaque.

http://www.jackclegg.com/Plaques.htm

Neil

Edited by Neil Mackenzie

Thank you Neil. I am going to recheck the other men listed as missing with him later as I couldn’t find them earlier. Mc

13003 Private PERT and 6274 Private TERRY were reported as missing in action, as identified from the roll call of 27 September 1914, at Oeuilly, near the Aisne in France. This list of missing men appears in The Times on Monday 30 November 1914, on page 12.

As at 21 October 1914, the aforementioned men were declared Missing in Action with an assumed date of 21 October 1914, as recorded on the Register of Soldiers' Effects. They are commemorated on the Menin Gate in Belgium.

Private Terry's family made contact with the Red Cross.The resultant ICRC index card has survived.