Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German M16 Helmet markings

shippingsteel

Can anyone familiar with the German steel helmet makers assist with identifying the partial markings on this apparent M16 Stahlhelm.?

The stampings are found in the regular position on the left-hand side under-skirt. It could be something like A L then the size numerals.?

Cheers, SS

M16.jpg.84589c0517ac7e09157f5e8c8094a9ab.jpg

Hi S>S,

The maker is, I think, Richard Lindenberg A.G. of Remscheid-Hasten.  Collectors refer to the firm as Bell L. since the marking is in the form of a trademark "bell" shape before the letter L.  The firm only made size 64 shells and, on your second photo you can just about make out the 64 after the L.

Regards,

Michael. 

Many thanks Michael it is one of those hard ones where if familiar with the regular stamping it would just jump out at you.! Helmets are not my strong point hence the questions.

Are you a collector of these things Michael.? I was wondering about paintwork and if there is a standard original colour scheme that should be looked for as opposed to other later refinishes which may erode the collector value.? Also if that stated maker has any more value than others of the period.?

Cheers, SS

SS,

Yes, helmets are my main interest, but only from the Great War period.  

As far as the marking on German helmets are concerned the subject is not too complicated.  There were thirteen manufacturers of helmet shells and five sizes.  There is also the marking to identify the maker/supplier of the steel and the "heat" or "batch" number which is usually found stamped to the interior top of the helmet.  As to rarity/value of each manufacturer/size the debate continues.  However, most collectors will probably agree that helmets made by Korting & Mathiesen (K & M) are very rare and will attract a premium as will other manufacturers/sizes to a lesser extent.  Also, any size 60 helmet is fairly rare as comparatively few were manufactured by only two manufacturers.  Really I suppose there is a direct comparison to be made with the collecting of P.1907 bayonets?

I can't really help as to paint finishes as the standard finish varied somewhat at the time as far as thickness of paint, shade and finish.  That variation has been increased since manufacture by use at the time and since then by storage conditions, handling, etc.  My advice to someone who is unsure of a given helmet might be, before purchasing, to join a forum specializing in helmets and post detailed photos for an opinion.

In case it helps I attach a photo of the "Bell L" stamp from one of my helmets.  Interestingly, as I understand it, the bell is not a bell at all but rather an electric furnace.

Michael.     

DSC04864.JPG

Thanks again Michael, that is very informative. I do have a particular example that I am currently looking at ... err ... for a friend.!! Probably another pathway an errant collector should not venture down lightly ... :thumbsup:

Anyway perhaps I will PM you some better photos of the paintwork on this helmet of interest for your considered and expert opinion. :)

Cheers, SS

Here is another marking by the same maker for comparison. It's easy to find them when you know what you are looking for.!

It seems they are generally quite lightly stamped ... with only the letter L standing out with the deeper impression.

200.jpg.7786cd566074e09929a7ba207b0b874b.jpg250.jpg.252581119fa2b0267e3e794677a909d9.jpg

• 1 year later...

Always good to get the gospel as it were from somebody knowledgable!

A quick question, Michael, if I may. Do all WW1 M16/17 helmets have the maker and size marks over the ear? The reason I ask is that I recently bought an 'odd' M16/17 one (cheaply!), personally sight unseen, which I will post in time, which could be a replica (not a problem - it was cheap!) or maybe not. It does not have any maker/size markings, but it is rather puzzling as it has camouflage markings on it obscured by the later application of brushed on black paint or laquer, plus sand-mixed paint on the interior, which doesn't make sense to me if a replica. Yes, I know, photographs are needed but a quick thought would be of interest before I attempt to remove a test area of the black paint or laquer.  

Julian

Edited by trajan

Well, here we are - no maker/size marking and I can't see a trace of any dome markings either. The rivets don't look right either. So, I will assume it is a well-made modern replica. Not to worry - I had a feeling it probably was so I am not broken-hearted! 

I am still somewhat confused, though, over why somebody seems to have applied a camouflage pattern over the helmet and then covered this with a varnish which has blackened. A previous owner also wondered about this as can be seen from the scratches revealing a red/orange area and from where an area of laquer has been removed, and with it some of the paint, where two lines of apparent camouflage have been applied.

I'd still appreciate any comments though!

Julian

721281672_IMG_2743(1).jpg.6dd84a82283f87648b10676e4a0abb61.jpg

1955367916_IMG_2745(1).jpg.d3484ec2e661c52cead852e0dbc916dd.jpg

956113190_IMG_2746(1).jpg.f025f02ee959dc304ce7c28402cc6433.jpg