Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Albrecht von Blumenthal, Schweres Reserve Reiter Regiment Nr. 2

ZweitesSchwere

I wonder if anyone can help me with some details about this officer's military career? He joined up as a trooper in Munich on 7 Aug 1914, then transferred to Deutz. He heft for the front on 21st December. His elder brother was already an officer in 2 Sqn. He himself was assigned also to 2 Sqn but by this time his brother was in 3 Sqn. 

He was commissioned in the field early in 1915, then captured while leading a platoon during the Second Battle of Champagne.

Now, here is where I lose track:

a. He was variously imprisoned at Corté (Corsica), Carcasonne, Mons and on a hospital ship to Salonika. But what dates was he where?

b. A photo exists of him wearing an Iron Cross in later life. Can anyone confirm this? Does a citation exist?

c. He made two unsuccessful escape attempts from captivity. Would the French authorities have kept records of this?

11 hours ago, ZweitesSchwere said:

He was variously imprisoned at Corté (Corsica), Carcasonne, Mons and on a hospital ship to Salonika. But what dates was he where?

I think the only place you are going to find the information is at the ICRC in Geneva https://grandeguerre.icrc.org Unfortunately the files for German servicemen with the names Baumann (Lambert) and from Belt to Bosrodowski have not been digitized for some reason. The ICRC suggest that if you are looking for anyone with those names that you write to them. The paragraph at the bottom of page 9 refers

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/Content/help/FAQ_en.pdf

Charlie