Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Millard

rfndave

Hi,

Could anybody identify this collar badge please (sorry about the quality). 

The picture is of Ernest Albert Millard b1876 Caversham, Oxfordshire, lived in Nunhead SE London in the 1911 census.

The family have no more information about his service. If the badge can be identified I might be able to locate a record even an MIC would be good.

I think it looks like the 25th London Regiment.

Many thanks

DaveIMG-20200520-WA0003.jpg.c002fa24344cdb9795c62a814a174f38.jpg

• Admin

I would say Artillery, though to me this looks post Great War, the lanyard is on the right shoulder, and he is wearing collar badges. @FROGSMILE will be able to help more.

Michelle (also born in Caversham , though by  then it was Berkshire) 

Thank you very much for your help. I said London reg as I have just seen a picture showing the badge and scroll and listed ad the Frontiesman of the 25th Londons.

sorry cant post picture. I will carry on and go through artillery and the Berkshires records

I think that Michelle is as usual correct.  RA grenade had 7-points in a single layer and the ball was patterned.

The RE grenade had 9 points in two layers and a smooth ball.

Both of them had the UBIQUE honour on a scroll awarded by King William IV that was added to the grenade collar badge in the early 1920s.

Before then both had used the plain, universal grenade since 1881.  Fusilier regiments and Grenadier Guards from 1905.

E8EF9AF1-FAA6-4C0A-9D7A-04E7E313C165.jpeg

EC1E3449-80FF-4086-8526-48E52202222E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

As this is a post Great War photo, his records may still be held by the MOD. He doesn't look like a man in his late 40s which he would have to be for the ID to be him.

Michelle 

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

He doesn't look like a man in his late 40s which he would have to be for the ID to be him.

I agree. This looks like a 1920s onwards  photo of a man born post 1901 ! Has a generation been missed ?

charlie