Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M1917 Bayonet parts

BobT

I'm rebuilding a 1917 Remington Bayonet. I have the grips, Grip Nuts, Catch Bolt and spring.

I need the.Grip Screws and the Release Button, neither of which I can find.

Would 1907 Bayonet Screws, the Bayonet No.1 Grip Screws, or the SMLE No.1 Mk.1 Screws work in this case? I believe the 1917 is a copy of the British 1913 Enfield Bayonet.

Would you know where I can find either, or both, of these two parts?

Thank you for your help.

Yes; 1907 Pattern bayonet grip bolts / nuts will fit the P13 / M17 bayonets. There are some for sale on eBay.

Hopefully someone will advise if a P07 release button will also fit.

Edited by peregrinvs

Thank you. From what I have read, it would have appeared that the screws would work, but I had gotten a 1907 catch bolt that didn't fit. I would have to be worked in order to fit. so, I was a bit worried about the screws and, maybe, the release button.

Hello 'BobT'.

As I understand it, you are re-building an M17 bayonet and require a 'Bayonet Release Catch'. Unless you can obtain a BRC from a reputable supplier such as Numrich, or, obtain a derelict M17 bayonet as a donor, you'll be re-working every other BRC you obtain... and possibly to your cost The BRC differs between manufacturers, sometimes in width, other times in length, occasionally in both. It would be more cost affective, and esthetically pleasing to obtain a BRC from the model and manufacturer of bayonet that you are re-building. 

As to the Bayonet Grip Screws, they are fairly standardised throughout.

I hope the above has helped.

Seph.

From Instructions for Armourers 1912 (1916 reprint) 1918 Edition, Addendum for the .303 pattern 1914, relevant section covering P13 bayonet component compatibility with P1907 components is below....I presume this should also be relevant to the p17 bayonet.

Dave.

DE5491C8-6C43-44BF-A7AB-38737F5971EB.jpeg

4A02B3FD-9E3F-4420-9897-1240477DD6A6.jpeg

Edited by Dave66
Image added.