Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers

Please can you let me know where is the best place to start researching an ancestor, Harry Randolph Hook, Born 16th January 1893, Bridgwater Somerset. Regimental number 506311 (T) 1254, RE/101/B/88 Page 45196. He was a sapper in WO 329 Company Royal Engineers. These details are from WW1 Medal Rolls Index cards. Thank you for your help.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Annabelle. The best place to start is to have a read of the Long Long Trail website. Lots of information about researching there. 

Michelle 

WO 329 isn't his company it's the TNA catalogue number i.e. War Office and Air Ministry: Service Medal and Award Rolls, First World War. Working out which companies a sapper served in without a service record can be difficult.

Hi Annabelle your relation was a pre war territorial army soldier or he joined after 1914 but before 1917 when the Territorial Force was renumbered. This is why he has two numbers. His later number puts him in the 2nd Wessex Field Company. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-royal-engineers-in-1917/

I can’t find his service records but more were lost than survived sadly.

contrary to popular belief the field companies of the RE were exposed to as much of not more danger than line regiments etc. As they had to carry out dangerous work in the front line putting up barbed wire rearing telephone wires etc etc. You’ve got lots to go at just pm me if you get stuck.

1 hour ago, Annabelle Long said:

Please can you let me know where is the best place to start researching an ancestor, Harry Randolph Hook, Born 16th January 1893, Bridgwater Somerset. Regimental number 506311 (T) 1254, RE/101/B/88 Page 45196. He was a sapper in WO 329 Company Royal Engineers. These details are from WW1 Medal Rolls Index cards. Thank you for your help.

Hi,

Harry married in early 1917, the marriage certificate may show which unit he was serving with at the time. 

The 1/2nd Wessex Field Coy renumbered 501 Field Coy  serving with the 27th Div. The 2/2nd Wessex Field Coy renumbered 504 Field Coy serving with the 58th Division