Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Airmen's Service Record

boeta86

Good afternoon all,

I've been asked by a family friend to trace a relative of his and have discovered the individual's Airmen's Service Record.

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the information in the 'Movements' column? I'm pretty useless when it comes to the RFC/RAF so any information there that you could expand on would be greatly appreciated. Any idea also on what his role/rank was? From what I can see, he joined the RAF on 20 August 1918 but as this is under 'Promotions' I might be wrong?

Further to this, are there any other RAF records that might have more information on the individual or his unit?

Best wishes all

Meilyr

GBM_AIR79_2495_00107 - RAF Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939.jpg

Hi,

His date of joining was 20th August 1918, in addition to the date being shown in his promotions section it is also shown in the box marked date current engagement commenced (man service) and the box marked date of actual entry into the RAF. The second/back page of his service record shows he served as a Rigger (Aero)

27TDS was 27 Training Depot Station and it was based at Crail, Fife. 185 Squadron was formed at East Fortune, East Lothian but it never became operational.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212