Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mr. Frederick Stanley, 2nd Northamptonshire Regiment

ADNIL

Dear Sirs,

I would very much like to understand what has been written on Mr. Frederick Stanley's army medal card.

He received the clasp and roses, as he was shot in the right arm, as can be seen in the photograph of him and his wife Mrs. Hetty Stanley.

They lived at 2 Lime Tree End, in Finedon, Northamptonshire.

As he was wounded, Mr. Frederick Stanley was given the position of being the Postman of the village of Finedon, as it was thought it was a job he was able to do.

Many people remember him from the village of Finedon.

If you can shed any light from his army information - I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Adnil

thumbnail_IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_20180102_090427.jpg

• Admin

Please acknowledge source of image from external site as per forum rules, image removed pending this.

Medal index cards are explained on the Long Long Trail website, link 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/

looks like  he also received the military medal.

Michelle 

Ok, since you have the medal card I think I am ok going through it.

Box top left - Stanley F. (originally written for 1914 Star) then amended to Stanley, Frederick (M.M.) when the British War Medal and Victory Medal were added. Adding the M.M. was not mandatory so you don't always see it on the cards.

Top right - 2 North'n R. Pte. 8535 & A/Sgt ditto - The rank of Private appears on the 1914 Star and the appointment of Acting Sergeant appears on his BWM/VM. This is unusual because appointments are not normally shown on the BWM/VM. 8535 was his Regimental number. He first served overseas with 2nd Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment

Roll references: He appears on page 78 of the Northamptonshire Regiment 1914 Star Roll and on page 3204 of the BWM and VM roll

Clasp and Roses issued W/B 3633 d/7.9.1938 MW/4/26519 - He applied for his clasp and roses for the 1914 Star (Clasp for the ribbon with the medal) and roses for the ribbon bar without the medals. A soldier had to apply for the clasp and roses (unless he didn't survive) which Fred did just before WW2. His address at that time is on the back.

The SWB line refers to his Silver War Badge claim - he enlisted on 29 July 1907 and was discharged on 7 June 1919 due to wounds.according to that ledger.

His pension card shows that he was discharged on 7-6-1919 and claimed a pension due to a "GSW arm" and lived at 6 Orchard Street, Finedon.

Date of embarkation (actually the date of arrival in France) is at the bottom - 6 November 1914.

In 1911 he was with 2nd Battalion at Malta.

His MM was in the London Gazette of 29-8-1918 and was probably for gallantry at Villers Brettoneux around 24 April 1918.

Steve

For ADNIL:  the Northampton Museums has a section of images loaned to it by the Northamptonshire Regiment Museum trust, and they are freely available for viewing online via Flickr.  One sub-section is called “Portrait of a Soldier” and includes several hundred photos relating to the regiment in its station’s pre-WW1, including Malta.  They can be seen at the following link and if you click on individual thumbnail images they will enlarge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/northampton_museum/sets/72157624701720444/

It’s quite conceivable that Frederick Stanley appears there somewhere.

Photos courtesy of the Northamptonshire Regiment and Northampton Museums.  There are numerous pages to view seen at the bottom of the opened file.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The Official Weekly Casualty list dated 16 July 1918 has him recorded under Stanley, "5535" (sic) Acting Sgt F. (Findeon) (I can't see the detail as I don't have a subscription to the British Newspaper Archive, but I think it is probably as Missing or Wounded and Missing)

The Northampton Mercury of 19 July 1918 also records him in a casualty list.

The Northampton Mercury of 28 June 1918 states "Stanley, Sergt. F., son of Mr. A. Stanley, Orchard-street, Finedon; missing since May 27 ...."

He was taken prisoner near Berry Au Bac with 2nd Battalion at the Chemin des Dames on 27 May 1918. His ICRC POW card is here:

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3501311/3/2/

He was repatriated in October 1918 due to wounds and influenza.

Steve.

Hi Anil,

10 minutes ago, Stebie9173 said:

The Official Weekly Casualty list dated 16 July 1918 has him recorded under Stanley, "5535" (sic) Acting Sgt F. (Findeon) (I can't see the detail as I don't have a subscription to the British Newspaper Archive, but I think it is probably as Missing or Wounded and Missing)

That list is available to view from the National Library of Scotland (link). Steve is correct, he is recorded as "Missing".

Findmypast has an earlier hospital record for Frederick which reads as:

First name(s): F

Last name: Stanley

Service number: 8535

Unit: 2/Northamptonshire Regiment

Admitted to 2 General Hospital (Le Havre) on 18.11.1916 due to problems due to the Inflammation of the Connective Tissue of his left knee.

Transferred to Hospital Ship 'Dunluce Castle' on 19.11.1916

Regards

Chris

Dear all, 

Thank you kindly for explaining the details. He's been so interesting to find out about. 

Thank you 

Linda