Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peter McHugh-found his(widow's) pension entitlement record - Can I learn more information?

pgis

I have just found Peter McHugh's pension record on Fold3. However there is very little detail supplied. Is it possible to find out more details? There are 2 reference numbers recorded on the card.

One looks like ONF 32759, and the other looks like 9D/G/3272. The only other info recorded is that Peter was a 2nd engineer on HMS Marchioness of Breadalbane, his widow was called Susan (McHugh) and his home address of Dooey, Lettermacaward, County Donegal.

No details of when he died, where he died(although I already know these) but more important to me, how much of a pension his widow received, how long she received it for, and most important, did his service contribute to his death from TB in 1919?

Thanks.  

Peter McHugh, farmer, son of Denis McHugh, farmer, of Dooey, Lettermacward, County Donegal, married Susan Rodgers, Stocking Knitter (1901 Census) daughter of Condy Rodgers (dead) and Mary Rodgers, at The Catholic Church, Lettermacward, County Donegal on01/02/1900. Children in the 1911 Census are Dennis, Mary, Condy, Hannah and Peter McHugh.

Hi

I didn't initially realise that this is a continuation of several previous threads.

1915 Crew lists show a Peter McHugh, age 33 (born 1881?), born County Donegal,  serving on "Marchioness of Lorne" (ON 98643) as Leading hand. I understand Peter McHugh was on the same ship at the 1911 census.

"Marchioness of Breadalbane" (ON 97634), another small passenger paddle steamer, was owned by the same company, Caledonian Steam Packet Co, Glasgow.  On 20 April 1917 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty for conversion to a minesweeper and based at Troon and Portsmouth. On 21 January 1919 she became a troop carrier and was returned to her owners on 30 May 1919.

It appears, from the medals list, that Peter McHugh served as an engineer during the requisition period as an officer in the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR).

I checked findmypast and I reckon his son Denis has a CR10 card with a passport style photo taken in Glasgow in 1919-20.  See BT 350. Date of birth given is 25 December 1900 in Lettermacaward.   

best wishes

ernestjames

Hi Tom and Ernest, sorry for the delay in replying. I have been fighting a rearguard action trying to protect my property from the ravishes of this 48 hour storm we are experiencing. It's well for some living in leafy Dublin!

Tom, thanks for the family info. My (very) elderly aunt was married to another child of Peter McHugh called Anthony, so is Peter's daughter-in-law!

Ernest, thanks for the additional info. One of the reference numbers recorded on Peter's widow's pension record is ON32759. Can you tell me which craft this identifier was linked to, as I have only ever seen Peter McHugh linked to Marchioness of Lorne (ON98643) and Marchioness of Breadalbane(ON97634)? Can I also ask you if his son Denis's record can be downloaded from The National Archives(currently free to download)?

Finally, can I ask everyone is there any way to find out more details about the widow's pension awarded to Peter's wife? The reason I ask is that I have the pension entitlement records for another relative from that part of Donegal , Cormick Cannon, who incidentally also served on Marchioness of Breadalbane. His record shows the amount of his pension, when it was passed to his father when he died and that his condition, again TB, was 100% aggravated by his service during wartime.

Thanks again.

Paul.

There is a record for Cormac Cannon on FMP here. He died in 1854. and lived in Killygarvan.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F1554%2F086%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F1554%2F800111

There is no record for Denis McHugh in the NA, for WW1 in the British Navy. Search here.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-service-records-1853-1928/

Hi

I don't think that ON32759 refers to a ship as that number identifies a Burmese boat from 1867.

The British National Archives (TNA) have microfiche copies of Denis McHugh's CR10 record as a merchant seaman in BT 350 in Kew but they are only available online on fmp. The original BT 350 records are held at Southampton Civic Archives.

I found a CR10 card for a Cormac Cannon, born Donegal, 1888 and working in Glasgow in 1919. Could that match your man?

There are quite a number of Lettermacaward men who have CR10 cards and were working from Glasgow at this time.  Some  Surnames I noticed were Breslin 4, Bonnar 1, Cannon 4,..........,

You can look up their details on my website.

best wishes

ernestjames

The two codes on the card are simply for pension issues - they have nothing to do with service details.

ONF 32759  - I've not has as much time to work on these as I have for other pension records but ON appears to be for Officer, Navy (or Naval). The F is as yet unknown as to what it means.

9D/G/3272 - this is some sort of internal reference number.

Craig