Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr Leonard James Edward Thompson, Royal Artillery

JJen

I only know Gnr Leonard James Edward Thompson  through this souvenir pendant from Ypres I found in an antique shop. Leonard was so kind and smart to write all his info inside which helped me find the bit of info I did. My only wish is to have a photo of him and more records of his service. He died of his wounds on this day, May 11, 1916. He is not forgotten.

received_189706315654702.jpeg

20200511_100132-01.jpeg

20200211_191535-01.jpeg

20200211_191122-01.jpeg

20200211_191153-01.jpeg

IMG_1700-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20200211-143801_Drive-01.jpeg

Such a great thing to find - especially with the paper still inside with his details. His medal card shows he went to France 13/12/1915. He was born 1899 and had a sister  Evelyn Beatrice born  11th February 1899 so possibly his twin. At the time of the 1911 Census he was aged 12 and at Eastwood Lodge Farm, Walberswick Nr Southwold, Suffolk - with his maternal grandparents. Unit matches on his soldiers effects which went to his father. 

107 HQ War Diary notes  11/5/1916 "Two lucky shells on D/107 wounding 5 O.Rks. One died subsequently". The HQ was located in Neuve Eglise in Belgium and he's buried at Bailleul  in France but it's only a few Km back  - so probably died of his wounds at a field hospital.

1 hour ago, david murdoch said:

Such a great thing to find - especially with the paper still inside with his details. His medal card shows he went to France 13/12/1915. He was born 1899 and had a sister  Evelyn Beatrice born  11th February 1899 so possibly his twin. At the time of the 1911 Census he was aged 12 and at Eastwood Lodge Farm, Walberswick Nr Southwold, Suffolk - with his maternal grandparents. Unit matches on his soldiers effects which went to his father. 

107 HQ War Diary notes  11/5/1916 "Two lucky shells on D/107 wounding 5 O.Rks. One died subsequently". The HQ was located in Neuve Eglise in Belgium and he's buried at Bailleul  in France but it's only a few Km back  - so probably died of his wounds at a field hospital.

Oooh thanks so much for this info David!!! Im in Canada and while our records are very easy to find, I had a hard time finding out that much on him other than the pics I posted. Last year at this time I was in the area where he died and was buried. I absolutely loved Ypres which attracted me to this souvenir in the first place so I felt I had something in common with him.  Had I found this sooner, I would have visited his grave myself. Instead, a member of another group I belong to was so kind to visit for me and take pics. I treasure this item and it is a conversation piece that acts as a tool to educate others about the act of remembrance.