Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

292531 Fordyce Gordon Highlanders

Jonathan D'Hooghe

Whilst helping with some research into James Henry Fordyce, we have come across a reference to him in the 9th Battalion GH but Attd (Attached) L53 JVMB.

Sorry if i'm missing something obvious, but any ideas as to this acronym?

Thank you

Jonathan

5 hours ago, Jonathan D'Hooghe said:

Whilst helping with some research into James Henry Fordyce, we have come across a reference to him in the 9th Battalion GH but Attd (Attached) L53 JVMB.

Sorry if i'm missing something obvious, but any ideas as to this acronym?

Thank you

Jonathan

Maybe a typo for 153 TMB or 153 BTMB ?

In which case it would be 153rd (Brigade) Trench Mortar Battery.

(edit - there is a medical record for him attainable via FMP and it has him as 153 TMB)

Edited by Ron Abbott

Thank you Ron. You could well be onto something here. I have attached the record for you to peruse. I could see that what I thought was a V is a tail onto the M. L53 could be 153?

What do you think? Certainly the medical record would seem to bear this out.

Regards

Jonathan

10 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

Maybe a typo for 153 TMB or 153 BTMB ?

In which case it would be 153rd (Brigade) Trench Mortar Battery.

(edit - there is a medical record for him attainable via FMP and it has him as 153 TMB)

Fordyce.png

153 TMB.

I also note from the medal rolls that he served in the 1/7th (and subsequently 6/7th) battalion of the Gordon Highlanders.

The 1/7th Battalion was also part of 153 Brigade, 51st Highland Division. 

And if he was originally in one of the Shetland Companies of the Gordon Highlanders, then again there's a likelihood he'd have been in the 153rd Brigade with the 1/7th or another battalion but very likely the 1/7th.  Was he a Shetlander?

(the reason I ask is that he is the only man with that identical name recorded in the official records of Scotland's People......born in Lerwick/Shetland in 1896), 

The Shetland Companies apparently arrived in France in late 1915 which could be a possible match to what is recorded in the medal rolls for him (December 1915).

Maybe someone who has knowledge of the Gordons or the 153rd Brigade could help out here....????

Edited by Ron Abbott

Ron,

Yes he was an original member of the Shetland Company of the GH in 1/7 GH originally.

I think your deduction of the acronym to 153 TMB has probably nailed it for us. Thank you.

Jonathan