Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pointers toward a War Diary

fellop

Continuing research of my local village war memorial [ten years and counting] brings me to T4/088408 Driver Thomas Dobson Adams. Mechanical School of Instruction ASC. KIA 1 October 1917 and buried at Longuenesse [St Omar] Souvenir Cemetery.

I know the difficulty with ASC units. I wonder if anyone might be able to point me toward the war diary, [I am signed up at the NA for the free downloads], if there is one for the unit or the higher formation. I assume the MT School was based in or near St Omer.

Regards

Peter

My thanks to both Jmrh and Alf for their speedy replies, I have now downloaded the item. I am [just] able to work out the Infantry Battalions diary locations by working backward from Div to Bde but I did not even know where to start with this one. I knew it was not to be confused to Divisional Trains but after that ! !.

Thanks again to both.

Regards

Peter

This type of unit was under the Lines of Communication which come right at the end of the diaries for France and Belgium. The order is GHQ - Armies - Corps - Divisions - L of C.

Ron

Thanks Ron, points noted. Even in advancing years learning never stops.

Regards

Peter