Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S/24430 Alexander McGregor 1/7 Black WatchMilitary Medal

vinniemac

Alexander McGregor Ser.No. S/24430

1/7th Black Watch.

Gazetted. 11/12/1918

My spouses maternal grandfather,we are interested in finding out when and where he won this medal.There was a small card with details but now lost to the mists of time.

Hello

The 1/6th (Perthshire) Battalion and the 1/7th (Fife) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 153rd Brigade in the 51st (Highland) Division in May 1915 for service on the Western Front.

1/6th (Perthshire) Battalion Territorial Force and 1/7th (Fife) Battalion Territorial Force
04.08.1914 The 1/6th stationed at Perth, Scotland as part of the Black Watch Brigade, and then moved to Queensferry, Forth defences and then on to Tay defences.
04.08.1914 The 1/7th stationed at St. Andrews as part of the Black Watch Brigade and then Moved to Kinghorn, Forth defences.
16.04.1915 Both transferred to the 2nd Highland Brigade of the Highland Division.
02.05.1915 Mobilised for war and landed at Boulogne and the formation became the 153rd Brigade of the 51st Division and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
During 1915
The Battle of Festubert, The Second Action of Givenchy.
During 1916
The attacks on High Wood, The Battle of the Ancre,
During 1917
The First Battle of the Scarpe, The Second Battle of the Scarpe, The capture and defence of Roeux, The Battle of Pilkem Ridge, The Battle of Menin Road Ridge.
During 1918
The Battle of St Quentin, The Battle of Bapaume, The Battle of Estaires, The Battle of Hazebrouck, The Battle of the Tardenois, The Battle of the Scarpe, The

pursuit to the Selle, The Battle of the Selle.
11.11.1918 Ended the war in France, N.E. of Cambrai.

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

The war diary 1917-1919 is here on Ancestry; remarkably detailed, it lists the names of daily casualties. Even a photo of the Battalion officers in Oct 1918. A quick look didn't obviously show awards but worth going through slowly.

Charlie

As you know, his award was published on 11 December 1918.  The list (20 pages of about 70 names per page) would be covering the last three months of the war.  MM could be awarded for sustained bravery over a period of time, not necessarily one single act, so you may wish to bear that in mind when you read the diary.  If you don't have Ancestry you can download the diary for free at the moment from the National Archives:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14055861

Max

Edited by MaxD

He is named in Routine Order No 1071 dated 21/08/1918 in the WD of the A&QMG 51 Div (WO 95/2849/1-4 Ancestry p 528/705) under Fife Bn, Black Watch. The RO records that the awards were for gallantry displayed between 20 and 30/07/1918.

Brian

Wow...many thanks as always.The original card was thrown away quite recently.My wife who read it many years ago said it mentioned him attacking and capturing a German machine gun nest and killing and capturing part of its crew.

He was indeed from Stanley and had lost 4 cousins in the war,the most tragic of which were 2 brothers who had left his village,emigrated to Canada,joined the CIF and were killed together on sentry duty,we believe just a day or two before Vimy Ridge was captured in April’17.Their names were John and George Craigie.

A special thanks to you Brian for that detail.

I have just read that the time period,20-30th of July 1918 was the Battle of The Marne.

1/6th /7th Black Watch we’re awarded the Croix de Guerre for unit bravery after suffering terrible losses in the battle.

Aye...his last daughter passed away and it was among the stuff put in bin.Enough to make a man weep.

I've just read the reports on the Ops that are in the WDs of the Div HQ (51 Div) and 153 Infantry Brigade. Plenty of material plus maps to go at. 

Brian

Using your dates, Brian,  and looking at the 1/7th War Diary (links to Ancestry or NA as posted above) for 20th July 1918 I note the following:

.. and a very fierce fight ensued about the C of Courton where the enemy had wired the road and had placed MG posts. Here 2Lt Cable and his platoon captured 2 MG, 2 Officers and 50 men.

I wonder if this was McGregor's fight ? Fits perfectly to your wife's recollection of that (lost) card.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Have been on NA’s and down loaded war diary.Absolutely fascinating read.I had missed this bit out but noticed on the 27th heavy attacks going in against several machine gun nests which had caused very heavy casualties as well.

E3676BA3-423E-45DD-AFB8-F25D9F5E650B.jpeg

• spof changed the title to S/24430 Alexander McGregor 1/7 Black WatchMilitary Medal