Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Tim bach

Welsh Horse badge

Recommended Posts

Tim bach

Hello all, does anyone have any information on this little gem found recently in New Zealand? Thanks in advance for any information.IMG20200521141016.jpg.9b96f8b6e5430dc1965db2ff048dc2c0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE
Posted (edited)

It seems to be an officers service dress (OSD) bronze collar badge.  Unlike the men’s, the officers insignia was in subdued tones as a form of camouflage.  Officially the men were supposed to cease cleaning theirs so that they naturally toned down over a few weeks in the trenches.

 

1729499A-1C54-424A-89D1-2CF404BAA3E3.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim bach

Thank you Frogsmile

It's my first Welsh horse piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE
3 minutes ago, Tim bach said:

Thank you Frogsmile

It's my first Welsh horse piece.


Glad to help, you might find this of interest: https://www.peoplescollection.wales/collections/536783

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim bach

I am indebted to you those pictures are wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE
34 minutes ago, Tim bach said:

I am indebted to you those pictures are wonderful.


The motorcycle section wore bespoke, plastron fronted jackets that were unique.  The regiment was raised by a very eccentric Welshman indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jerry B

interesting badge, can you show the reverse please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim bach

Certainly I can sorry for the delay in replying

IMG20200528064221.jpg

IMG20200528064229.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE

Collar badge I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim bach

I am certain that you are right in this, it is a little small for a cap badge. I wonder if it arrived in NZ as a result of the Welsh horse's involvement in the Gallipoli campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE
59 minutes ago, Tim bach said:

I am certain that you are right in this, it is a little small for a cap badge. I wonder if it arrived in NZ as a result of the Welsh horse's involvement in the Gallipoli campaign.


That seems a likely scenario, possibly on a souvenir belt that I know were very popular amongst the men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sepoy
On 21/05/2020 at 10:11, FROGSMILE said:


The motorcycle section wore bespoke, plastron fronted jackets that were unique.  The regiment was raised by a very eccentric Welshman indeed.

The Welsh Horse was raised by Lt Col Arthur Owen Vaughan (AKA Owen Roscomyl). A short book covering Owen Roscomyl and the Welsh Horse, written by Bryn Owen, can still be purchased via Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWEN-ROSCOMYL-WELSH-HORSE-Bryn/dp/B000N216TE

The late Bryn Owen was the very knowledgeable Curator of the Welsh Regiment Museum at Cardiff Castle. I visited the Museum on quite a few occasions, when Bryn was in charge. I was always well looked after and found conversations with Bryn fascinating, but I never managed to have a good look around the museum :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FROGSMILE
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

The Welsh Horse was raised by Lt Col Arthur Owen Vaughan (AKA Owen Roscomyl). A short book covering Owen Roscomyl and the Welsh Horse, written by Bryn Owen, can still be purchased via Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWEN-ROSCOMYL-WELSH-HORSE-Bryn/dp/B000N216TE

The late Bryn Owen was the very knowledgeable Curator of the Welsh Regiment Museum at Cardiff Castle. I visited the Museum on quite a few occasions, when Bryn was in charge. I was always well looked after and found conversations with Bryn fascinating, but I never managed to have a good look around the museum :lol:


Yes, both the gentlemen you mention were undoubtedly characters.  I read that Owen Roscomyl had some ambition for the unit he would raise to become Welsh Guards, apparently not knowing at the time that it had already been decided within the Army to raise exactly that unit, but from men already in the other Guards regiments, which of course duly transpired.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jerry B

thank you for sharing the reverse view.

 

always interesting how these items travel the world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...