Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Geraghty - 6 Batt The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

GJW

Hi All

The 1911 census quoted by George (Post 23)  confirms the address on the Will which was signed by  Sarah Peak who is also on the census, a lodger. (Post No 11). searching re marriage certs and signatures.

Regards Barry

Thank you Inspector.

Marriage certificates in England are not always helpful!

Name, status, 'profession', address, father's name and 'profession'

And indexes/indices(?) are only lists

Where did you find the marriage?

George

Hi GJW and all

Soldiers' effects shows died 7.12.15 not 11 as CWGC and Soldiers' Wills and OP. ..searching

The 1911 census for 215 Plungington Rd., Preston shows John Mahon had been married 7 yrs with 2 children born and living. Therefore  a marriage in 1904 in Bolton may well be the right one as the first child John Bernard, was born in Preston. . John Bernard Mahon died Ashton on Ribble, Preston on 31.12.1955 probate to widow Ellen  .John's birth cert is Preston 1905, 8e, 550.  Family tree on Ancestry, there is another child John Michael Mahon b.7.12.1912 Manchester d. 1986,Perth, Western, Australia.

checking it out....

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector

Hi George: Found on Ancestry. Shows a Margaret Farringdon (first name) followed by John Mahon, Mary Margaret McMahon and Peter Turner, Preston, April May June 1904. 

image.png.c3ef73a571699c4318a647ef3319df49.png

Thanks Barry: The medal rolls state the 11th for death. Not sure which one to use. I am writing a book on these soldiers and unsure which one to go with. Assume the CWGC have final say? 

I would be eternally grateful if you come across his Kildare address before he moved to the UK or if his wife (Mary Margaret) was Irish on UK forms. I do hope to reveal the man Geraghty as he is my ghost soldier :) 

Gerard

There is an Ancestry tree which has John Mahon marrying Mary Margaret McMahon in/from Aldershot. I'll try to track it down again

John Mahon

1873–1961

BIRTH 5 OCT 1873 • Cell bridge, Kildare, Ireland

DEATH 9/1961 • Stamford, Connecticut, USA

Spouse & Children

Mary Margaret McMahon

1872–

John Bernard Mahon

1905–

Mary Margaret Mahon

1907–

John Michael Mahon

1912–1986

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1030/?name=John_Mahon&count=50&name_x=s_1&spouse=Mary+Margaret_Mahon

Looking at death...seems unlikely link someone has made!!

George

George

Edited by George Rayner

Thanks George. I tend to agree. I also see from another website that the Mahons were living in 215 until quite recently so I suspect they did not move to the US. Your help is appreciated.