Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th Btn -2nd Bradford Pals

DIckyboy

Hi everyone...newbie question time !!!!

A few years ago I found out I had a relative KIA in WW1, the gent would have been my fathers uncle. I have found out limited info through my father (before he passed away) the CWGC site and a Yorks based WW1 historian on twitter and im just wondering if I can gain any more info about my great uncle (im assuming its easier to call him that), his service record (if poss), the areas he fought and sadly died along with any photos......I know its a massive ask and could in all reality be unachievable....but one can hope.....

His name was John Willan

Served in 2nd Bradford pals

KIA 15/8/196

Area of death.. East of Festubert  positions around the Pioneer comms trench.

Thanks for your time ...have a great evening

Regards

Richard (Dickyboy)

Richard welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

There is information available on the Ancestry website and Find my Past if you have a subscription. 

To get you started he was 

Name: John Willan
Record Type: Card
Death Date: 15 Aug 1916
Service Number: 18/1197
Corps, Regiment or Unit:

West Yorks.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=21454293&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=cIF3221&_phstart=successSource

Now you may already know those bits so if you can let us know all you have garnered from your dad, CWGC and the twitter historian we can add to it.

George

Richard there are two books on the Bradford Pals, and at the moment if you register on the Uk National Archives you can download the war diary for the 18th West Yorks free of charge.

The Bradford Pals  by Ralph  N Hudson

The Bradford Pals   by   David Raw

Also available, though sometimes expensive, is a history of the West Yorkshire REgiment by  Everard Wyrall.

If you live in the West Riding you will probably find copies of all of these books in local reference libraries.

Hi George

Thanks for the info, what I know is limited . My father once told me his uncle was killed by a sniper ( he mentioned something about the sniper  being in or near a tree!! but i discounted this as an embellishment!!)  but now it seems it could have some truth to it as he was killed around Canadian Orchard( which I cant find anything about, around the time he was killed )

The CWGC has given his service no  ( as above) and his place of burial Le Touret.  The historian  ( Nigel Marshall) corrected my original info that John served in 1/8th WYR  when in fact it was 18th Btn WYR along with his place of death ..Pioneer comms trench East of Festubert, pictures of the page of the war diary that mentions his KIA, along with a couple of images of the trench maps....other than that I have nothing.

I started looking into him as I took my dad to see his brother in Wales  afetr my mum died a few years ago and my uncle had the dead mans penny and cert along with medals framed on his wall....but as my dads now gone and my uncle is in his mid 80s and recently lost his wife..getting any info is a delicate subject....

Am I allowed to post the War Diary image and the others???

Evening Keith

Many thanks for the info, I think I came across a downloadable copy of Ralph's book  during in an internet search. But will be ordering David's book after your advice.

Have a great evening!

• Admin

You can post the images as long as you  acknowledge the sources as per forum guidelines. @Nigel Marshall Is a member here too 

Michelle 

Dickyboy

It would help if you kept your enquiries to 1 thread thus avoiding members wasting their time.

Simon

On the Bradford Roll of Honour there is a John Willand (thats how it is spelled) 18th WYR killed in action 15th August 1916 of 19 Amberley Street Bradford (off Barkerend Road) who had enlisted September 1914. Also mentioned at the same address is Herbert Willand a Cpl in Kings Own Yorks Light Infantry who enlisted Feb 1916 and who survived the war.

A recent book is 'A Bradford Pal' which is based on the diary of George William Broadhead who served with the 18th Batt.

Edited by ilkley remembers

5 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

On the Bradford Roll of Honour there is a John Willand (thats how it is spelled) 18th WYR killed in action 15th August 1916 of 19 Amberley Street Bradford (off Barkerend Road) who had enlisted September 1914. Also mentioned at the same address is Herbert Willand a Cpl in Kings Own Yorks Light Infantry who enlisted Feb 1916 and who survived the war.

A recent book is 'A Bradford Pal' which is based on the diary of George William Broadhead who served with the 18th Batt.

Hi Ilkley 

The John mentioned  is my great uncle, the  "D" is a mistake. As for  Herbert I have never heard his name mentioned ,but that's not to say he isn't related any idea where he is from??

Regards

Richard. 

3 hours ago, DIckyboy said:

As for  Herbert I have never heard his name mentioned ,but that's not to say he isn't related any idea where he is from??

Its his younger brother

29 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Its his younger brother

Now I am confused.....I never knew he had another brother other than my Grandfather!!!!....Which if true is another mystery to investigate.

In 1911 there are 5 children shown 3 younger than John and Herbert. They are in descending order Marie, Ernest and Thomas

Edited by ilkley remembers

41 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Its his younger brother

Ignore my last statement............I have just had a look through some papers my dad gave me before he died( only had a quick glance at the time! Doh)!!) and there's a  photocopy of an attempt at a family trr...and in the 1911 census hes named.....oh good Lord!!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

In the appendix of the book about the Bradford pals it has omitted my great uncle from the list of the 18 division. Sergeant Arthur Allison killed in action 31 may 1917