Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ship's Corporal "accidentally shot", HMS Cornwallis

Pat Atkins

Folks, I'm again flinging myself on the mercy of the nautical experts: thanks, as ever, for your patience. In the course of other research I've turned up an intriguing casualty but have no idea how to find out more. He was:

187361 (Chatham) Ship's Cpl 1st Class Atkins, George Harry Albert  RN

I've found him recorded (CWGC, naval-history.net) as "accidentally shot" on 28th May 1915; his ship is given as HMS Cornwallis, which was in the Dardanelles at the time. How should I proceed from here? Some uninformed Googling has failed to uncover access to the ship's log (though I see TNA has a physical copy in the ADM/53 collection; however, what with lockdown and me being an expat, reading it isn't immediately feasible). Is there anything else I ought to try, or should I just put Ship's Corporal Atkins to one side to gather dust? I found him while looking for GW relatives, though I doubt he is one (first time I've found someone in his line of work, for a start: most of my lot seem to have been more defaulters than enforcers :D). 

Cheers, Pat.

You can find his record here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7142807 interesting - he was a sailmaker before switching to ship's corporal.

Thanks David, much appreciated.

Pat

Edit: it's very interesting reading, but - no clearer on his demise so far.

Edited by Pat Atkins

There may be somewhere I can look eventually, but not until I can get out of the house.

I'm more than happy to keep this on a low flame! But I'd like to find out what happened, one day, so I'd be grateful sJ. Thanks. Will keep Googling, in case - if I find anything I'll post it here.

Pat

Not an answer but in "The Immortal Gamble" - telling the part played by CORNWALLIS at Gallipoli - the Appendix lists just two ratings "Accidentally Killed" - PO Joughlin [sic - correct name Joughin] and Ship's Corporal Atkins. The PO was killed in an accident on a collier - a fall from height. It possible Atkin's death was a similar accident and not a shooting. The ship's log should tell.

No clues here;

18th June 1915 - Somerset Standard 

"MRS. ATKINS received information from the Admiralty on June 11th stating that telegraphic information had reached their department that her husband, G. H. A. Atkins, ship's corporal first class, belonging to H.M.S. Cornwallis. died on board H.M. hospital ship. Gascoy, on May 38th from wounds received during operations in the Dardanelles. It is clear from the many letters of sympathy be was highly esteemed by all who knew him. Mrs. Atkins wishes to thank all kind friends of of Beckington End neighbourhood for expressions of sympathy. Amongst her many letters of sympathy was one from the King and Queen, the captain and officers, and chaplain and messmates of H.M S. Cornwallis."

41 minutes ago, IPT said:

Gascoy

Just to say, that would have been GASCON.

Duly noted sJ.  

Gambon war diary for 28th May. Doesn't solve anything, but adds to the story perhaps.

Gambon.jpg.118d6cff120c270e599c6bbeb861a5e5.jpg