Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

nastle

french 12 inch naval gun

Recommended Posts

nastle


 I had a question about the 12 inch gun used on Courbert and Danton classes of Battleships , in 1914 i.e start of WW1 what was the range and degree of elevation of this 12 inch gun on the Courbert and Danton class battleships ?

 

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikB

Wikipedia saith:-

The main battery of the Danton-class ships consisted of four 305 mm Modèle 1906 guns mounted in two twin-gun turrets, one each fore and aft of the superstructure. Each turret could elevate up to +12° that gave the guns a maximum range of 14,500 meters (15,900 yd).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michaeldr
Posted (edited)

From Jane's the following info can also be added:

arc of fire: 260°

rounds carried: 74 per gun

Edited by michaeldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nastle
On 21/05/2020 at 03:01, michaeldr said:

From Jane's the following info can also be added:

arc of fire: 260°

rounds carried: 74 per gun

thank you 

does Jane's say that their max elevation was 12 degrees also ? in courbert and danton classes ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michaeldr
Posted (edited)

The above relates to the Danton Class and Jane's gives no information re the elevation


Re the Courbet Class:

Arc of fire - Amidships 180°; Centre Line Turrets 270° each

Height of guns above the water - Turrets (1) 30½ft; (2) 37¾ft; Amidships 25ft; (5) 28½ft; (6) 21⅓ft

Ammunition carried - 100 for each gun

Edited by michaeldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nastle
2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

The above relates to the Danton Class and Jane's gives no information re the elevation


Re the Courbet Class:

Arc of fire - Amidships 180°; Centre Line Turrets 270° each

Height of guns above the water - Turrets (1) 30½ft; (2) 37¾ft; Amidships 25ft; (5) 28½ft; (6) 21⅓ft

Ammunition carried - 100 for each gun

i wonder why , since elevation will have such a dramatic effect on the range 

 

my understanding is that only courbert 12 inch guns were elevated to 23 degrees in 1935  and their range increased , but i wanted to confirm it 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michaeldr
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nastle said:

my understanding is that only courbert 12 inch guns were elevated to 23 degrees in 1935  and their range increased , but i wanted to confirm it 

 

1935 is well outside our time zone on the GWF

& my copy of Jane's refers to 1914-18 only

Edited by michaeldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nastle
On 23/05/2020 at 04:21, michaeldr said:

 

1935 is well outside our time zone on the GWF

& my copy of Jane's refers to 1914-18 only

understood , i thought maybe the entry on courbert in the 1914-18 Janes had something about the gun elevation 

thanks for checking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wexflyer
Posted (edited)

The NavWeapons forum has extensive data, and is usually very reliable.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNFR_12-45_m1906.php

Original maximum elevation 12 degrees for both classes.

Says max elevation changed in 1925 (not 1935), for Model 1906-10 guns only.

Photo of the guns in question

WNFR_12-45_m1906_Courbet_bow_pic.jpg

Edited by Wexflyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...