Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5 West Yorks

Raster Scanning

This battalion was attached to the 18th Division 54th Brigade for the attack on the redoubt on 28th September 1916.

General Sir Ivor Maxse in a letter to his wife has the following to say of their performance in the attack.

"they did very well; the men were better than the officers who were not trained like ours and could not direct or form up or get started".

He goes on to say they have been sent to him "for disciplinary reasons"

Shortly after, they returned to the 49th Division. does anyone have any idea what the disciplinary reasons were?

John.

I believe this unit lost heavily on 3rd September in one of the earlier attacks at Thiepval; whether it was deemed to have performed badly that day, I don't know. There can be few of the original TF men left by this stage of the conflict; certainly would be interesting to know more about this incident.

Yes Paul it might be something to do with that.

I will add looking at their War Diary to my ever increasing list of things to do at the PRO. Assuming I get any time to get back to England this year.

:(

John, I also believe the 1/5 Yorks was involved in fighting near Thiepval in early July 1916 and were forced out of the German trenches that had been captured by the Ulster Division. This might also be another reason.

Ralph