Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps

LivingHistory

Dear all - Wondering if you can help - I'm trying to identify the person in this photograph. I think it might be John Timothy Baty (born Sunderland 1883-1962) - by a process of looking at other relatives in another  photograph but I'm not sure. If it is him - his reg no was 351705 (pte) and he was in the Labour Corps. He survived WW1 and went on to have a family. I haven't been able to enhance the photo any more but I wondered if you think the detail in the photo matches the service information. Thanks.

Scan 10.jpg

Scan 14.jpg

Hello just found him on Ancestry.co.uk 

You are right it is the number 351705 for John Timothy Baty

Labour corp

Attested  4 Dec 1915

Last unit he was in I think was 360 Employ Coy 

Strange as a pension list says his wife Ella is a widow ?

a son called John Timothy Baty Birth Date:4 Apr 1907

and daughters

Joanah

Ella

It may be a mistake though :thumbsup: but his file seems to say he died 

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

26 minutes ago, johnmelling1979 said:

may be a mistake though :thumbsup: but his file seems to say he died 

John

No mistake.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?firstName=John%2Btimothy&lastName=Baty&war=1

Private BATY, JOHN TIMOTHY

Service Number TR5/68041

Died 04/09/1918

Aged 36

87th Bn.
Training Reserve

transf. to (351705) 360th Coy
Labour Corps

Son of William and Johanna Baty; husband of Ella Baty.

I think the lanyard on the right and collar dogs date the photo to after 1918.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks for that information - will have to look into the death date again. It's confusing when the number changed when he was transferred. So if he died in 1918 would the badges in the photo match? i.e. has been mention they were after 1918.  Where is the grave? Still don't know if that's definitely him in the photo - but might be! Youngest child was born 1916 so definitely no children born after 1918.  I am aware of the reference to his wife as a widow but think earlier than 1918? He was discharged 1917.

5 minutes ago, LivingHistory said:

Where is the grave?

Bishopwearmouth Cemetery plot 

3. A. 2071.

sorry I meant to put it on the photo

Edited by ajsmith

Bishopwearmouth cemetery makes sense - this is where the family come from. I'll do another search on ancestry with a different death date and see what it comes up with. Thanks for all that information - I'll check this out tomorrow. I'm always suspicious of someone surviving ww1 service - many of them didn't.

The young man in the photo is Royal Artillery and as Dai has said the pattern of collar badges that he wears relates to the early 1920s, as does the style of his cap, which was introduced in 1921.

Thanks everyone - having taken into consideration the information you have provided me - I amended the death date for John Timothy Baty. I have looked around the family tree at other relatives who could possibly fit the bill and found another 2! One of them was discharged in 1918 - the other one was in the military 1914-1920. Therefore on the basis of probability it is more likely to be him - as he could have started to wear the updated badge and cap. That person is John George Trusty 1892-1980 - BD3 Reinf royal Rield Artillery reg no 11045. Rank -GNR - Badge no 259480. There is a photo of this soldier with my grandparents - in the census of 1911 and 1939 they were in properties that couldn't be the one in the photo. I know they also lived at another address - could be that one but no record as was in between the census information. So - does that seem like a better fit? My family tree is a bit of a nightmare as my grandparents were related so they share lots of people in the tree!

After all that checking - another record has popped up for John George Trusty - was discharged 2.11.17 due to disability! So may not be him......!

Some additional information from 'No Labour, No Battle - Military Labour During the First World War' John Starling and Ivor Lee.

Labour Corps numbers 170141 to 357600 allocated June to September 1917, so likely Pte Baty transferred to the Labour Corps September 1917.

360th Company was formed in Autumn 1917 as a Reserve Employment Company located at Strensell.

Could be Strensall Barracks which is now RAMC and located a few miles north of York.