Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracking Friedrich Schubert-A Soldier in the Asienkorps part 2

Greek Kaizer

Greetings comrades-in-arms.

In a previous post,I needed your help for the identification of an Asienkorps soldier,sadly without results.But as I was surfing on another forum I found this picture:

Pal_1.jpg.b22f358a763e0053a76a8d0b5a97f032.jpg

I almost fell of mu chair at the sight of the seated soldier on the left.And that because he looks very alike to the chap I am searching.As it's clearly visible from the watermark,it belongs to the Australian War Memorial,it's clearly 2 Asienkorps German NCOs siting on a table drinking tea.

I tried re-tracking the photo for more info but couldn't find it.Most likely by a personal mistake rather than the web's fault.

So I ask for your help once again,if you can find anything about this photo specifically about the man on the left please reply on this post.

It's more likely shot in Palestine,though I don't know from wich battalion.

But if info can't be found,then I kindly ask,that if possible,to confirm that the man on the left is the same on the following pictures,shot at 1947.Alltought they may notbe clear,they're the only one's I have

151.jpg.c35909d296f59076758f825e374443e5.jpgdownload.jpg.110f58fad651e26181d999bb4401c975.jpgFritz_Schubert_porttrait.jpeg.48c111e96daa85987419f5f0154f6c41.jpeghortiatis-soumpert.jpg.90d99c17dba14e125f098c30458eabde.jpg

Thanks once again

Stay safe!

Mate,

I take it he was a War Criminal during the 2nd War?

I notice there is a bit on his crimes in Greece;

When he was in custody he was recognized as Friedrich Schubert by various witnesses and prosecuted for war crimes. On August 5, 1947 he was found guilty of 271 murders and several other crimes including arson, burned numerous villages, rapes, murder of women and children in cold blood, spoils of war, and thefts

I notice he could speak Turkish (from a Turkish Mother), not many Germans there learned this so another question as to what he did during the Great War?

That in itself would be invaluble with any German unit serving with the Ottomans in that war.

S.B

Mate,

I could not find where this Hops was or the unit there?

There a a small number which include two German Doctors

LIEUTENANT LEPIG AND VON ZALK

I will need to check them out for a unit?

Sorry

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

12 hours ago, stevebecker said:

I could not find where this Hops was

The hospital mentioned in the AWM picture caption was at 'Anebta

[PROBABLY NON- COMMISSIONED OFFICERS (NCOS) FROM THE GERMAN FIELD HOSPITAL AT 'ANEBTA.]

which is seen on this map crop a third of the way along from Tul Karm to Nablus 

'Anebta is mentioned in Preston's The DMC (see chapter XVII) as being 5 miles east of Tul Karm

65391446_Falls_mapAnebta.jpeg.0c051c631a597d25b72f6446cc2077da.jpeg

Edited by michaeldr

This hospital seems to be/could be the one mentioned in Falls Military Ops Egypt & Palestine Vol.II, page 509 

Edited by michaeldr

Mate,

I notice the 213 Hosp was at Nazareth, while the placement of the 212 Hosp is not confirmed.

shown Feb 1918 Allied reports 218th & 219th Field Hosps - German records show only 212th unknown, 213th shown at Nazareth 9-18 220th & 221st Field Hosps unknown

Cheers

S.B

• 5 months later...

stevebecker,michaeldr,domsim

Sorry for the very late respond,technical and personal matters didn;t allow me to be on a computer.Second of all,thank you all so much for your help,Allthough they are not much they are something and they can help further research.I really hope one day that this mystery will be solved.Until then I wish you all a fine evening.

Stay safe!