Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German/Turkish Gewehr 98 pouches?

Thatww1pigeon

Hi there everyone, I have another question about ww1 equipment. What I have here are three Gewehr 98 pouches. I believe that the darkest pouch on the bottom is German, but there is no date on it, which is odd. It does have a g98 marking on the inside as well as an A7V stamp. Wondering if A7V manufactured pouches as well as tanks? The other two above are also not dated, and have their d-rings missing. As seen in the very bottom picture one of the pouches does have a name of some sort but scribbled over. I have seen these a lot on Ottoman pouches, perhaps they are Turkish? Any help would be great, thanks!

C3CD3DAB-0E86-449E-845D-ECB3C29AED6E.jpeg.d9fc9fb5c60d19f4d7bcc4552e43927f.jpegF8B5F3FA-A2A4-43F0-A7F0-A320413B48A0.jpeg.bb862e70b659b1f0c002cd306a83d785.jpeg222CA3AF-2424-40E4-95B6-EB04397D6ED8.jpeg.0044d5f1ead4618c6421928129b991b0.jpeg0365E35D-416F-494D-9E40-DA86E0843BBA.jpeg.b3e84d9ee62139e621e3094c1b500519.jpeg

Very surprised that the upper pair have never been fitted with equipment support rings. This implies that the pouches have been made as "dress" or "ceremonial parade" pouches.

The Turkish equipment was based heavily on the German design and also required the rings on the pouch to counterbalance the weight of the backpack.

That isn’t what I was wondering as well, but good to know they were used for other purposes. I was just trying know more about them, no date on all three of them is very unusual in that most everything was dated back then.

The stamped marking on the inside appears to be a partial German Bekleidungsamt with the Roman numerals XIV. So this particular pouch initially came from Bekleidungsamt XIV which was a German military clothing and equipment department. These are very common German issue markings.

Cheers, SS 

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ht/stamps

Edited by shippingsteel
Add link

So to summarize the above the BA XIV belonged to the XIV Armee-Korps which was based in the Baden district.

Cheers, SS 

Much thanks S.S., really interesting way of identifying the manufacturer. I have thought that the top two are Turkish. My question is, do you know if pouches that were handed over to the Turkish were marked, or just given to them in large quantities without any markings at all? Thanks

The bottom one looks to have been in Finnish service after WW1. Those rivets are typical of Finnish workshop repairs. There may be an SA mark somewhere, often on top.

Cheers,

Tony

Hmm, did the Germans lend their pouches to the Finnish because the two fought together during the continuation war against the Soviet Union? It would be interesting that a ww1 pouch would still be in service in ww2, was ww1 German equipment abundant in ww2 or not that much?

My pouch has also had the German maker and date rubbed out. I think the Finns would have got the pouches some time in the 1920's, and they were in poor condition. Mine has leather sewn into the sides as well as the rivets.

Cheers,

Tony

I have actually just found a faint stamp labeled SA on top of the Finnish repaired pouch, confirming your answer.

Those were my thoughts as well for the top 2. I am still trying to make out a name of some sort on the inside of the pouch. It’s hard to make out because of very poor handwriting and the name fading away over time