Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

kgren

1st Bn, RDF, Helles Landings

kgren

Hello, all. I was looking through the 1st RDF's diary scans on Ancestry for some information on the Helles Landings and found that there are no entries between early April and mid-July. A previous post in this forum from 15 years ago (see below) suggests these pages do not exist because of the high casualty rate among the unit's officers. I was wondering if anyone know this to still be true? Thank you.

michaeldr

Philip (Oak on the other thread quoted) published his research in 2015

titled 'Beneath a Turkish Sky' (The History Press Ireland)

In his preface he again informs that the NA do not hold a WD for the period in question here

kgren

Thank you for the information. I will look into his work.

kgren

Do you know of any other original sources I could consult if I wanted to determine the circumstances of the 1st RDF's Apr 30th casualties? Or, more generally, the unit's movements from the 25th to the 30th?

michaeldr
Posted (edited)

As well as the book by Philip Lecane 'Beneath a Turkish Sky' which I've mentioned already,

you may also wish to have a look at Patrick Hogarty's book

'Remembrance-A brief History of The Blue Caps the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers 1914-1922'

privately published via Galway City Forms. Pages 54-56 list those who died at V Beach 25-30th April 1915.

Philip (whose GWF name is 'Oak') should be reachable via this forum's messaging system

Further info may also be available with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association

whose contact details are given at the foot of this page http://www.greatwar.ie/

edit to add: further details on the above two books are available on the RDFA page here http://www.greatwar.ie/publications/

Good Luck

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Jervis

Hello. 

As per Michael’s post, both are very good books and will probably provide the information you are looking for. 

However if it is original sources you are after. The papers of Lt Guy Nightingale provide a lot of the eyewitness detail many books draw upon. Nightgale was with the Royal Munster Fusiliers, but as you probably know 1/RDF & 1/Munster Fusiliers took substantial casualties on the 24 April. In the immediate aftermath of the Helles landing the survivors of both units were merged into one unit - nicknamed the Dubsters. 

Jervis

kgren

This is all great. Much appreciated.