Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal 7807 William John Smith 1st Bn DCLI

Andrew Marshall

Dear all

Here is the last one from my Gravesend Borough Police list that I need some help with please

William John SMITH

Lance Corporal 7807

1st Battalion Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

Killed in Action 15 September 1914

Aged 27

I have his MIC, medal rolls, pension card and soldiers effects entry - he does not appear to have a service record that has survived

William was born in 1887 at Peckham to William and Selina Smith,  he had two younger sisters. Information from the 1911 census shows that he was serving as a Lance Corporal in the 1st Bn DCLI based at Milton Barracks, Gravesend. He must have liked the area because he joined the Gravesend Borough Police on leaving the Army

Can someone provided when he enlisted from his service number and when he would have likely left the Army?

3 minutes ago, Andrew Marshall said:

Dear all

Here is the last one from my Gravesend Borough Police list that I need some help with please

William John SMITH

Lance Corporal 7807

1st Battalion Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

Killed in Action 15 September 1914

Aged 27

I have his MIC, medal rolls, pension card and soldiers effects entry - he does not appear to have a service record that has survived

William was born in 1887 at Peckham to William and Selina Smith,  he had two younger sisters. Information from the 1911 census shows that he was serving as a Lance Corporal in the 1st Bn DCLI based at Milton Barracks, Gravesend. He must have liked the area because he joined the Gravesend Borough Police on leaving the Army

Can someone provided when he enlisted from his service number and when he would have likely left the Army?

#7805 attested on 19 December 1903.

At the time it would be 3 & 9 - 3 years regular service and 9 years on the reserve.

Craig

5 minutes ago, Andrew Marshall said:

Have you seen that there is an ICRC record card for him, giving several crossed out PA refs and one, PA411 that was communicated to the family, I think, as a possible ?

754943690_GWFSmithJWDCLIICRC.JPG.47e1b97204a8d0fb23cecdd97c4228db.JPG

17 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

At the time it would be 3 & 9 - 3 years regular service and 9 years on the reserve.

So if still serving in 1911 he has obviously extended then would he be committed until 1915 thus serving at outbreak of war ?

edit--  But then he cannot have been if he joined the police before 1914 ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

So if still serving in 1911 he has obviously extended then would he be committed until 1915 thus serving at outbreak of war ?

edit--  But then he cannot have been if he joined the police before 1914 ?

Charlie

His initial 12 year period would still ordinarily end in 1915 but there were schemes that allowed the 3 years to be extended (and the reserve period reduced accordingly). There was a specific scheme to allow 3 year men to extend to 8 years - which would allow him to still be in until the end of 1911 and then be in the reserve come 1914.

Craig

Thank you Charlie and Craig - all of that is really helpful 

I hadn't checked for POW records so will look into those a bit more - thanks for the heads up

I've looked for the 1st Bn DCLI war diaries but can only find those from Oct 1915 - does anyone know if they are available and where please?

4 hours ago, Andrew Marshall said:

Last week I had stupidly downloaded the last of 1 of 3 files and didn't download the other two! I couldn't work out why it started in October 1915! Thanks

It caught me out recently too I kept downloading the same file!! 

I found this little gem of news about the 1st Bn DCLI from a very obscure booklet sitting on my bookshelf - thanks to John Millbank Jones

History of Milton Barracks, Gravesend by John Millbank Jones.jpg

1st Bn DCLI at Milton Barracks, Gravesend.jpg

1st Bn DCLI band members at Milton Barracks, Gravesend 1909.jpg

1st Bn DCLI church parade 18 July 1909 - Milton Road, Gravesend, Kent.jpg

1st Bn DCLI trench digging practice at Milton Barracks, Gravesend 1911.jpg

Milton Barracks main gate - Gravesend 1908.jpg