Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yank Here, Would Like Some Help on a US-Focused WWI Project

JOVE23

Hello!

This might not be up everyone's alley, but it's important research that we would like to get transcribed into a digital format as quickly and as accurately as possible! 

ALSO, if this isn't in the right area, a mod is at liberty to relocate it.

We are very excited to announce a new project to the Zooniverse. We are looking for help in inputting the information from the burial cards of US soldiers who died during the First World War.

During the First World War, the United States military suffered over 116,000 deaths. Over 63,000 fell victim to the 1918 influenza pandemic that swept the globe, while over 53,000 died in combat, or related activities. These combat losses were incurred in less than two years, which speaks to the ferocity of the fighting that the Doughboys faced. Today, over 31,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines rest in cemeteries in France, Belgium, and England. In addition, over 4300 rest in unknown graves, their names recorded on the Wall of the Missing at the various cemeteries.

Starting in 1921, families of fallen servicemen were given the difficult choice of leaving their loved ones on foreign soil, to rest with their comrades, or to have their remains shipped back to the United States. By the end of 1922, roughly one third of US war dead were returned home for reburial.

Regardless if the dead remained in Europe, or were brought home, the US Army Graves Registration Service created for each, a typed 4x6 card with the serviceman’s information, cause of death, burial location in Europe, or when they were returned to the US, and delivered to their families. These cards have recently been released by the National Archives, but they are in a format that makes research difficult and time consuming.

Our goal is to have the information from each card input into a searchable database, so that those who would like to learn more about US casualties in World War One, whether it be for their research of an ancestor, for authors working on projects, or simply for those who wish to learn more so that we may continue to honor and remember these brave men and women.

Since there is quite a bit of information on each card, the data input has been divided into four stages. The first stage, which is complete, deals with name, rank, & service number. The second stage will include date of death, cause of death, and temporary cemetery numbers. The third will include temporary, or battlefield burial locations. Some of these men were reburied as many as four times, before they reached their final resting places. The last stage will include information on those that were shipped back to the United States.

Join us in creating this important database. Seeing these cards will not only teach you a bit about US military history, but it will likely cause you to search more deeply about the tremendous sacrifice these men and women made.

Good luck with this project - very worthwhile!

This excites my interest and admiration : all the very best to you and your endeavour.

If you’ll forgive me, I’ll make one constructive criticism about the numbers you’ve pitched : yes...the number of battle deaths - killed in action, died of wounds or gas - did reach 53,000.  The balance of 63,000 died from multiple other causes, not just the influenza pandemic : there were accidents, suicides, murders, and significant losses from diseases  other than the ‘flu ; although, of course, that was the biggest killer.

Phil

4 hours ago, phil andrade said:

This excites my interest and admiration : all the very best to you and your endeavour.

If you’ll forgive me, I’ll make one constructive criticism about the numbers you’ve pitched : yes...the number of battle deaths - killed in action, died of wounds or gas - did reach 53,000.  The balance of 63,000 died from multiple other causes, not just the influenza pandemic : there were accidents, suicides, murders, and significant losses from diseases  other than the ‘flu ; although, of course, that was the biggest killer.

Phil

Sure, that is absolutely correct. I'll let the newsletter writers update their text!

Hey, I was "testing" that project for Zooniverse just a few weeks ago,

And now phase 1 is already completed? In three(!) days?

Wow!

I did some of the burial cards earlier today, and the "thermometer" stood at 33% complete. I look now, some 6 hours later, and it stands at 49% !

Better get stuck in before it's "too late"!