Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army order certificates were these sent out with the medal or did one have to order it ?

arantxa

Thanks I’m wondering if there are hundreds of each page or a set number 

27720735-6708-40BB-AAC7-CB452AF6B5AF.jpeg

Arantxa

They were not for distribution to the recipients. It is quite possible of course, that an individual may have obtained a copy from a helpful clerk to put together with his award.

TR

I am not too sure about that Terry.  I have had and seen quite a number of 'immediate award' medals which have been accompanied by one of these scrolls, so it has always been my understanding that one would have been presented to each recipient on the list.

Of course I could be mistaken?

Im guessing they are a more elaborate copy of a page from the Gazette..so unless presented I dont see the purpose unless for posting up some where on a wall  ir is it not a copy of the Gazette ?

Thanks 

I have seen a few of these and they were all by Rawlinson, who seemed particularly keen on the idea. I think that the more usual one given to the man was much shorter and simply said something like "I congratulate you on the gallant act by which you have gained the ..." followed by a space where "Military Medal" was typed, followed by Rawlinson's facsimile signature.

The format in post 1 does not fit the format of the London Gazette.

Ron

so it was specially made thanks