Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Fattyowls

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

chaz

Railway Cutting at Courcelles-le-Comte and to the right of the cross is Warry Copse

railway cutting.JPG

warry copse.JPG

Michelle Young

Two lovely seldom visited cemeteries. 

Ribecourt British Cemetey taken from the Hindenburg Line 

IMG_1940.JPG

dickaren
Posted (edited)

A couple of Pigeon Ravine Cemetery - June 2007. Meath Cemetery just visible on the horizon above the Cross of Sacrifice in photo 1

France June 2007 031.jpg

France June 2007 030.jpg

Edited by dickaren
Text added

Fattyowls
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, dickaren said:

June 2007

Along with the Beaulencourt one the slightly misty conditions really enhance the views. Good stuff.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
speling mistike

dickaren
4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Along with the Beaulencourt one the slightly misty conditions really enhance the views. Good stuff.

Pete.

Meath Cemetery just visible in the mist on the horizon above the cross in 1st photo.

Fattyowls

Just to add to the Mouquet Farm to Thiepval and vice versa this is taken from just along the road from Pozieres to Courcelette looking back over the farm. What I have always found interesting is that you don't get any sense of the valley from this angle. The series of photos has helped me understand the ground much better.

Pete.

518877796_ThiepvalfromfurtherdowntheCourceletteroad.JPG.0523d70425433d6c2ee1b17e09573d10.JPG

Marilyne

Frev,

LOVE the pic of Prowse Point!!

And i need to visit Pigeon Ravine… looks good…

and here I am writing a post… and my external disk with all the pics is in my room… will get it later, got some treats for you!!

M.

Fattyowls
3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

and my external disk with all the pics is in my room… will get it later, got some treats for you!!

Looking forward to that Marilyne. I was going to post one of mine of Prowse Point as a 'this is how not to do it' tutorial; my one of Le Trou Aid Post is even worse. I love Frev's photo, the only thing it hasn't got is the little fluffy pink clouds that you managed to capture last time I was there.

Pete.

Marilyne

As promised… these pictures were all made in 2014 …

Fromelles, Pheasant Wood:

845115419_Fromelles2014.jpg.f73429e0c488168612b0929c682a67af.jpg

Messines Ridge Cemetery, at the end of the day ..; me playing hide and seek with the sun:

35031988_messinesridge.jpg.29414e797f375f31944856cc967642ff.jpg

everybody knows where this is:

714980412_MessinesPeacePark2016.jpg.a88ceaf85785ecbf087fc41a2034c4e5.jpg

And here, location is not important: one never has enough pictures of poppies!!!

690433119_poppy2014.jpg.c641044893ce92a3175d224a1ed59de1.jpg

M.

Fattyowls

Good stuff MM. I'll look at the map in a bit and work out the bearing of the one of the Irish Peace Park, I'm sure I've been out the back but I can't work out your location just yet. Fab control of depth of field in that last one too.

Pete.

303man

A nice moody sky at the Peace Park.

P1020065.JPG

frev
15 hours ago, Marilyne said:

And here, location is not important: one never has enough pictures of poppies!!!

690433119_poppy2014.jpg.c641044893ce92a3175d224a1ed59de1.jpg

M.

Agreed!

1383210884_WesternFront175-Poppies.jpg.1648fb13f4837a343cf41384ce066a85.jpg

Marilyne

Little trip to Menen Wald cemetery in 2016:

51732591_MenenFeb20162.jpg.e13e7d45dca80f1e91130c3f6d2384fa.jpg

247603447_MenenFeb2016.jpg.0682c5cdea341797038353f34bfc89ba.jpg

Don't know why, but somehow I find that German cemeteries are best photographed in black and white…

M

Don Regiano
19 hours ago, Marilyne said:

On that basis, here was our garden - at least it is on the Somme.  I was leaving free from cutting a few patches so that the poppies would grow.  Not much of a contribution yet and I suspect that this year they may not be there, if my heighbour has managed to cut the grass in our absence!

DSC05705.JPG

DSC05707.JPG

DSC05708.JPG

Fattyowls

Good poppies Reg. But as we have a cornucoppi carnucopia conucipia a lot of Somme photos maybe I should focus our gaze a little further north. This is one I want the view looking back to. The Bellvue spur up to Passchendaele looking from the Crest Farm Memorial. It takes a feat of imagination to think what this view would have been like in November 1917.

Pete.

1723860673_BellvuespurfromCrestFarmatPasschendaele.JPG.eaae03c7411e907e0348aad7c32ff494.JPG

JWK
Posted (edited)

The Brooding Soldier at St Juliaan

brooding1.jpg.5cbc3a3dab350c23acbbc6433c8f509f.jpg

and the version in colour:

brooding.jpg.6d40e0fc4b82f75107692c85ccc29bb1.jpg

Edited by JWK

Don Regiano
1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Good poppies Reg. But as we have a cornucoppi carnucopia conucipia a lot of Somme photos maybe I should focus our gaze a little further north. This is one I want the view looking back to. The Bellvue spur up to Passchendaele looking from the Crest Farm Memorial. It takes a feat of imagination to think what this view would have been like in November 1917.

I take your point Pete.  I will have to check through my limited pictures of further north.  In the meantime, here's one to be going on with - perhaps a less familiar angle of the familiar:

DSC_0476.JPG

Michelle Young
8 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

1723860673_BellvuespurfromCrestFarmatPasschendaele.JPG.eaae03c7411e907e0348aad7c32ff494.JPG

How about further east or south? TBH I'm not a frequent visitor to the Salient or the Somme any more, a day trip suffices, I prefer lesser visited areas.  Here's the beautiful Vis en Artois 

IMG_1799.JPG

gilbo139

French Memorial in Albert.......flowers just past their best but it was November!!

BADF91D7-02FB-4092-A76B-9020A70B9F14.jpeg

Fattyowls
12 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

flowers just past their best but it was November!!

I wish my garden looked that good in August let alone November. Good post Gilbo, I've been to Albert several times but I don't remember ever going to the town memorial.

12 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I prefer lesser visited areas.

You and the getaway rider are intrepid, there's no other word for it. Even when you photograph familiar locations you manage to get unfamiliar angles and views which is A Good Thing. At the risk of going on about the Pozieres Memorial you and Toby have changed my view of it completely. I'm not a fan of Vis-en-Artois, but then I've only been past a couple of times, I don't think I've ever visited.

Pete.

Fattyowls
20 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

In the meantime, here's one to be going on with - perhaps a less familiar angle of the familiar

That I like, I have the same angle but on a warm morning which doesn't have the same impact. One of these days I will explore the ramparts on the other side of the gate, I can't ever remember going up there. I tend to stop half way up the staircases to look at this panel. Probably my best photo of a name, the angle was right and the light advantageous.

112559755_JamesBrannick.JPG.0b33fb7bc67ddc83e594a294c818c749.JPG

Fattyowls
23 hours ago, JWK said:

The Brooding Soldier at St Juliaan

Colour for me dramatic though the b&w is; good clouds too.

Pete.

JWK

^clouds were rolling in from behind the statue at the time. Reminded me of the gas clouds some 100 years before.

Langemark German Cemetery.

Close up of one of the mass-grave's many steles.

Langemark.jpg.654ae17c888b4df929c0559f664adf41.jpg

Reminds me of a trip to Langemark in 2015 or thereabouts, and there  was a British school-class with their teacher.

I overheard her telling her pupils "Here lie many German soldiers. They were our enemies at the time, but each and everyone of these soldiers had a family, had a life, had ambitions, they lived through horrible times, just like our own soldiers.

Now I want you go along and find yourself a soldier you feel connected to"

And off those teenagers went, speaking in hushed voices.....

tomisitt

Dozinghem, where my Great Uncle Jack is buried.

6A8C0135-5EC1-4F05-B5B9-6118F9169D05.jpeg

Fattyowls

Nice light Tom, I take it Great Uncle Jack is one of the headstones? If I was being picky I'd say that there aren't any Dolomites in shot, but you can't have everything.

Pete.