Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

On 19/10/2021 at 20:53, Fattyowls said:

I took this photo thinking I was on the site of where one of my footballers fell. I

HORIZON .... middle ....aargh .... 

On 21/10/2021 at 12:46, Michelle Young said:

Don't forget Bernard Adams, RWF, who wrote Nothing of Importance. He often gets overlooked, but he was already dead by the time of Arras, so wouldn't figure in this scenario.

Great book!! I really enjoyed that one!  

As to Sly's request... me and churches don't do well... I tend to avoid them as much as possible... so can't help... 

but let me find a nice one... 

M.

On 22/10/2021 at 08:07, Sly said:

Ok it's a church, but which one ?

It reminds me of the Église St Gervais et St Protais II in Paris, the one that took a direct hit on Good Friday 1918, from the “Paris Gun”, killing nearly a hundred and wounding scores when the roof collapsed ?

John

Well done John !

You are right, on that day 29th March 1918 a shell hit the church packed with people attending the mass. 91 were killed, including many women, and 68 were wounded. There is a memorial inside the church.

Sly

897573930_Capturedecran2021-10-23a15_03_15.png.d4ee7b980ef911fe2496041239234c1d.png

Hi Sly

It’s 10 or 12 years ago since I was there, can always remember, it was a Paris trip with excursion, nothing to do with the Western Front, we had just finished the Notre Dame tour and there was some free time, so off I went to find find it. Beautiful carved door if memory serves me correctly and wasn’t it previously called the Lion of Judea.

J

Edited by Knotty

Impressive spot John, and a very interesting post Sly. I've walked past it more than once but never realised the history.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

HORIZON .... middle ....aargh .... 

It's me, why are you surprised? You know I barely know which way around to hold the camera; it's all I can do to avoid photographing my nose all of the time......

Pete

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

it's all I can do to avoid photographing my nose all of the time......

That would be called a selfie ... lots of people do that nowadays... :lol:

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I've walked past it more than once but never realised the history.

Hi Pete

It’s surprising that it’s probably no more than 400 mts as the crow flies to Notre Dame, imagine if that shell had hit the Cathedral with the size of the potential Good Friday congregation, doesn’t bare thinking about.

13 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

That would be called a selfie

As Michael Caine would say……….(not) a lot of people know that😁

John

• Admin

Any ideas? 

65B37667-F226-4971-BC20-15335E118F51.jpeg

Only the idea that I need to hit the battlefields again... and fast... 

Belgium or France??? 

M.

• Admin

France 

It’s surprising that it’s probably no more than 400 mts as the crow flies to Notre Dame, imagine if that shell had hit the Cathedral with the size of the potential Good Friday congregation, doesn’t bare thinking about.

Notre Dame was hit too in 1918 by one of the "Pariser Kanonen" but apparently it didn't cause too much damage... except to the statues of the saints.

74777615_Capturedecran2021-10-23a18_21_14.png.338773c095782592ac3f78bcb147b95e.png

Thanks Sly

That is something I wasn’t really aware of, probably due to the lack of casualties it is seldom mentioned.

Edited by Knotty

• Admin

My photo is a cemetery rather off the beaten track. There’s a rather nice looking chateau across the water. It contains burials from both wars.

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

That would be called a selfie ... lots of people do that nowadays... :lol:

But they do it deliberately, and as you know I have a face for radio........

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

My photo is a cemetery rather off the beaten track. There’s a rather nice looking chateau across the water. It contains burials from both wars.

Is it fairly near to St Quentin? Chapelle British Cemetery?

Edited by Knotty

• Admin

Not Chapelle, but it’s fairly warm. 

• Admin

It is, a simply beautiful place in my opinion. 

51 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

It is, a simply beautiful place in my opinion. 

Not one I have visited but it does look a nice spot next to the water.

Richard

3 minutes ago, dickaren said:

it does look a nice spot next to the water

Good spot Richard, I did wonder if that was water in the background but I was most struck by the angle of the light and the drama of the clouds; it's another lovely photo. As usual I have been in the vicinity but didn't know it was there.

Pete

8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Good spot Richard, I did wonder if that was water in the background but I was most struck by the angle of the light and the drama of the clouds; it's another lovely photo. As usual I have been in the vicinity but didn't know it was there.

Pete

The two M's (Michelle and Marilyne) certainly know how to take a good photo.

Michelle, do you know the story of the 2nd WW casualties?

Richard

• Admin

Despite the blurb on the CWGC website saying there is a number of WW2 casualties, there is in fact only one. An airman. Not the first error I’ve found on the CWGC site………

7 hours ago, dickaren said:

The two M's (Michelle and Marilyne) certainly know how to take a good photo

I fully concur Richard. I've watched Marilyne composing photos and the trouble she takes is evident; I really should be inspired to try harder. I hope I won't cause Michelle to blush (stop reading now Michelle if you blush easily) but it's the clever viewpoints that I really like. That said there is a lot of top quality stuff in the thread. This isn't one of them - but setting aside the centered horizon outrage (Marilyne, don't look at the photo, you'll only get annoyed) where is it? As a clue the viewpoint and a topographical feature hidden in the middle distance share the same name.........

image.jpeg.2714f28e88cd29d44741f58304b80cb6.jpeg

Hi @Fattyowls,

Are we looking down on the area of the Butte de Warlencourt from somewhere around Warlencourt-Eaucourt? Warlencourt and Mametz were my first thoughts but couldn't get a match!

Richard