Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Richard, I am sure I have seen a posting which I think was by Tom Tulloch-Marshall about this very subject; a search on Gordon Dump may bear fruit. I can't remember the answer and given my recent track record on cemeteries with Dump in the name I do not dare to speculate......

Pete.

Tom's explanation is in this thread from the 30th July last year. I searched on Gordon Dump and limited the search to this thread.

Pete.

• Admin

Got caught in an incredible storm there once, really spectacular. By the time I made one of the shelters, I was already soaked. 

13 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Got caught in an incredible storm there once

Just for the record, that's Gordon Dump as opposed to Thistle Dump or Lancashire Dump?

• Admin

Gordon Dump. It was a rather damp ride back to the accommodation on the old BMW…….

• Admin

Where is this. 

5DBBE34F-B766-46D4-A9CE-5D564C007145.jpeg

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Gordon Dump. It was a rather damp ride back to the accommodation on the old BMW…….

Is that Bertha or a Bayerische Motoren Werke AG predecessor? As for your latest the presence of water close to the surface suggests the Lys valley; possibly up Frelinghein way maybe? It looks like a day of sunshine and sudden showers.....

Pete.

Two small cemeteries in such close proximity is surely going to be helpful to those with more WF experience than I.

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Is that Bertha or a Bayerische Motoren Werke AG predecessor? As for your latest the presence of water close to the surface suggests the Lys valley; possibly up Frelinghein way maybe? It looks like a day of sunshine and sudden showers.....

Pete.

That was the R65 Pete, an old workhorse. Bertha is in retirement at present, Giovanni the Guzzi being the steed of choice. 

Thanks Michelle. I have two possible contenders but my search method could be construed as cheating so I'll leave the suggestion for now and go and make a cup of coffee. I don't think it's up Houplines way by the way.

Pete.

20 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Tom's explanation is in this thread from the 30th July last year. I searched on Gordon Dump and limited the search to this thread.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,

I will take a look

Richard

With regard to Michelle's two cemeteries I think they are in a French village that will be familiar to many, the water in the bottom right hand corner will flow into a small river which has featured here recently and the viewpoint is three quarters of a mile from a much more famous memorial which bears the same name. Am I right on the money Michelle, or barking up the wrong tree? Or just barking of course.......

Pete.

• Admin

Liking the way you are thinking Pete

I am fortunate to have downloaded the .kmz files that a Mr C. Baker put together for various battlefields and used the one titled 'the Forgotten Front'. I started off going north around Houplines but although there are cemeteries close to each other they tend to be in built up areas. So I went south. Despite having been to the village loads of times I've visited either cemetery, or even been into the centre of the village if truth be told. Far too conventional. That said the famous memorial is probably my favourite of all.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

That's what I came up with, good spot.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

• Admin

Correct 

I took this photo thinking I was on the site of where one of my footballers fell. I took a complete set and ended up photographing the correct site in the distance. I'd like to know the name of the defensive feature that ran just behind the ridge where the windmills are. For bonus points can you name the two WW1 literary figures who wrote about it, their regiment and the name of the village just out of picture to the right.

West from the Hump.JPG

Perhaps a clue may be in order. The two literary figures were half of the total that the regiment produced, and one of the others may have covered the actions on and around the ridge in a classic of WW1 writing. I should be ashamed to admit I've not read it so I don't know; lack of moral fibre I'd call it.......

Pete.

• Admin

Tunnel trench and the Royal Welsh Fusiliers? Sassoon and Richards? And Croisilles?

Up to Mametz?  Graves and Sassoon? 

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 19/10/2021 at 20:53, Fattyowls said:

windmills

replacing the lines in photos now Pete?  Plenty to choose from these days.  Off to Albert now so expect to see a few of them.  Reg

Michelle's answer is almost perfect, and Mr F gets an honourable mention for the identification of 25 percent of the literary individuals; Richards, Sassoon, Graves and Dunn . This is indeed the ridge along which the RWF battalion (the 2nd?) which included Sassoon and Richards attacked in April 1917. fighting both overground and underground for the formidable Tunnel trench. The village I was thinking of was Fontaine-lès-Croisilles with Croisilles itself over to the left, but I struggle to tell my left from my right at the best of times. Both villages have Croisilles in the name so top marks. The ridge top still has some concrete forming the outpost line of the Tunnel trench system.

The viewpoint is a strongpoint called the Hump in 1917 which was my mistaken location for the loss of a man called James Roy. He was actually killed on the ridge, his battalion of the Cameronians was in the same brigade as that of Richards and Sassoon. His body was never recovered and his name is on the Arras Memorial along with that of his brother.

Pete.

• Admin

Don't forget Bernard Adams, RWF, who wrote Nothing of Importance. He often gets overlooked, but he was already dead by the time of Arras, so wouldn't figure in this scenario.

28 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Don't forget Bernard Adams

I have to admit I'd never heard of Adams Michelle; having looked him up I'm fascinated. I wonder if the glare of attention on Sassoon and Graves have obscured him; his entry on Lucy London's Forgotten Poets site has a link to the book and the quotes I've seen sound beautifully written. So that makes five literary lions in the RWF, who'd've thought it.

3 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Plenty to choose from

I must admit I hesitated about posting this one given that several of our august group regard the windmills as the renewable energy installations of the devil. I will probably take a walk out to the beach in a while as it is a beautiful day out here on the coast, the bay is absolutely full of them but to be honest I don't mind them at all.

Pete.