Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Thiepval and V-B 

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

VB looking back the other way towards Amiens May 2014

IMG_2529.JPG

Edited by dickaren
Date

20 hours ago, JWK said:

If you told me this was the stage-set for this year's Wagner's "Ring des Nibelungen" I would have believed you

I can see exactly what you mean JWK, it's otherworldly.

5 hours ago, Jockbhoy67 said:

It was quite a surprise to hear this come trundling up the road with Teddy and Pheobe sitting on the front seats up top

I know that a modern London bus is a stereotype for measurement but I would genuinely like to see that vehicle against one of its modern equivalents; it looks not a lot bigger than a minibus. Interesting that it has still got the Liverpool St sign; having dodged buses around that famous terminus I know which I would prefer to get out of the way of.

Pete.

Another alternative view: an aerial shot of Italian trenches on Pal Piccolo in the Carnic Alps.

72EE1EB6-1E2B-4DC8-BCC3-AEF9B7E74E1B.jpeg

1 hour ago, tomisitt said:

Another alternative view: an aerial shot of Italian trenches on Pal Piccolo in the Carnic Alps.

Unsurprisingly I've never seen anything quite like that Tom, but if you carve trenches out of solid rock they last. Good stuff.

Pete.

On the subject of Villers-Bretonneux I think of it as the ultimate looking back the other way challenge.....

Exhibit 1: the view from the memorial looking back north eastwards over Hamelet and the Morlancourt ridge. The Richthofen crash site is just on the right edge of the woods across the river marked by a chimmbly.

888848275_RidgewithRichtofencrashsite.JPG.7ef7197ed6956256e97476d3c4e678b0.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

Exhibit 2: As I was looking at the view something on the centre right horizon caught my eye......

479811845_ThiepvalfromVillersBretonneux.JPG.7c76d9f7e2a2a1a4426eaea99775899f.JPG

Exhibit 3: A little bit of photo processing revealed this: I would love to have the view looking back, I wonder if the Cambridges took any snaps while they were up there, or had their retainers take some?

Pete.

1458284618_CloseupofThiepvalfromVillersBretonneux.JPG.2ba64e9e9b282cb96057080cd71203d1.JPG

• Admin

We're bidding farewell to Dad today, so here's a picture of my parents in happier days. 

IMG_0704.JPG

Wonderful photo Michelle; we'll be thinking of you.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

We're bidding farewell to Dad today, so here's a picture of my parents in happier days. 

IMG_0704.JPG

Hope it goes as well as is possible in these times Michelle.

Princes Street was an objective of the RF when one of my wife's relatives was badly wounded by shrapnel in July 1916.

Very bucolic, Michelle. My best wishes to you.

The photos of the Alpine trench systems and the vestiges therein are remarkable.

spacer.png

Looking back across the German lines towards Thiepval Wood, Ancre Marshes. I believe this area was called 'Summer House' and/or 'The Bump'. I can't imagine that there were actual trenches here, just desolation.

4 minutes ago, horrocks said:

I can't imagine that there were actual trenches here, just desolation.

And once the desolate marshes of Dagorlad. Great work as usual matey.

Pete

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

And once the desolate marshes of Dagorlad....

On which topic...

spacer.png

St.Pierre Divion

"For a moment the water below him looked like a window, glazed with grimy glass, through which he was peering. Wrenching his hands out of the bog, he sprang back with a cry. 'There are dead things, dead faces in the water,' he said with horror. 'Dead faces!' 'I don't know,' said Frodo in a dreamlike voice. 'But I have seen them too. In the pools when the candles were lit. They lie in all the pools, pale faces, deep deep under the dark water. I saw them: grim faces and evil, and noble faces and sad. Many faces proud and fair, and weeds in their silver hair. But all foul, all rotting, all dead. A fell light is in them.' " J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings

More looking down than looking back, but never mind.

Edited by horrocks

1 hour ago, horrocks said:

More looking down than looking back, but never mind.

Works for me. St Pierre Divion is another of those Somme locations like Courcelette where I've seen the sign but never followed it. Bazentin-le-Grand is another one.

Pete

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Works for me. St Pierre Divion is another of those Somme locations like Courcelette where I've seen the sign but never followed it. Bazentin-le-Grand is another one.

Pete

A lot of ghosts in those old marshes. And nightingales too, at this time of year.

St.Pierre Divion had, and still has, the vast undercroft that the Germans built to barrack hundreds of troops. It is somewhere beneath the reserve lines at the foot of the slope back up to the Ulster Tower.

55 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete

Pete.  When you do visit St. Pierre Divion, look out for the German helmet a resident has strung up on top of a pole!

View over the top of St. Pierre Divion from the track leading up to the Schwaben Redoubt, looking at the other side of the Ancre:

DSC04168.JPG

• Admin

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it went well, with more than one Great War reference..........

38 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it went well, with more than one Great War reference..........

Pleased about that Michelle; you all look after yourselves.

Pete.

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Pete.  When you do visit St. Pierre Divion, look out for the German helmet a resident has strung up on top of a pole! View over the top of St. Pierre Divion from the track leading up to the Schwaben Redoubt, looking at the other side of the Ancre:

3 hours ago, horrocks said:

St.Pierre Divion had, and still has, the vast undercroft that the Germans built to barrack hundreds of troops. It is somewhere beneath the reserve lines at the foot of the slope back up to the Ulster Tower.

I seem to be spending a lot of time planning walks for when it's possible again. The last time I was there I took some uninspired photos of the Ancre and this.....

1299221351_StPierre-Divionexists.JPG.67f8578d2e81426d2b5f91b4f4e6692b.JPG

But it was a hot day and an ice cream up at the Tower was irresistible. Next time it's down to the hamlet and up to the site of the Schwaben Redoubt with no ice cream. My body is now a temple (it used to be a fast food outlet).

Now there was a time when I used to know where that was from memory. Now I would have to consult either the electrical interweb/Mr & Mrs Middlebrook's Guide/Before Endeavours Fade. As Perry Como sang 'Memories are Made of This'. Or was it Dean Martin. Or not as the case may be.....

Hi Pete

Dean Martin is the guy you’re after, you’re probably thinking of Magic Moments by Perry, although I’m led to believe that it was featured on a compilation album. However not being a connoisseur of Mr C, I may well be talking out of the wrong orifice😁

Martinsart British Cemetery?

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi Pete

Dean Martin is the guy you’re after, you’re probably thinking of Magic Moments by Perry, although I’m led to believe that it was featured on a compilation album. However not being a connoisseur of Mr C, I may well be talking out of the wrong orifice😁

Martinsart British Cemetery?

Thanks John. I did know that (the Dino Martini bit at least) because I looked it up yesterday; I'm writing something about memory so the song is part of the closing paragraph. I'm sort of rehearsing some of the gags. Perhaps I should work in a few of his quotes; "Your not drunk if you can lie on the floor without having to hold on" is a contender.

Martinsart it is, I don't remember having been there but I knew about the sandstone. You can take the boy out of geology but you can't take geology out of the boy......

Pete.