Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Thanks Tom, nice to see your trusty steed too. I will take the diabolical liberty of posting a link to your Extreme Battlefield Tour thread for those who might have missed the majesty of the Alps contained therein.

Pete.

Just now, Sly said:

Hi,

great photos on this thread, thank you very much for sharing.

Sly

There are some absolute beauties I think, with lots of the Somme region that I'd not seen, and different views of some that I had seen. Good to hear from you Sly; hope all is well with you.

Pete.

Slightly different - Etretat Churchyard where SWMBO's great uncle is buried after being mortally wounded near High Wood - followed by usual view of Etretat:

DSC03921.JPG

DSC02521.JPG

51 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Good to hear from you Sly; hope all is well with you.

Hi Pete,

thank you for your message, I am still there !

My contribution to this thread, it's not exactly from a battlefield site but from the Saumur museum: the only surviving exemplar of a French Schneider tank (and also the oldest tank in running condition in the world I believe):

502526943_Capturedcran2020-05-2022_15_21.png.2592184f83369bb907400ba4041e95fd.png

Regards,

Sly

• Admin

Le Linge battlefield, Alsace 

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

On 19/05/2020 at 15:07, Fattyowls said:

I'm trying to figure out which cemetery Mr I

The answer is Ribecourt Road, Trescault; 

I wish I'd stood on the wall and taken a picture across the valley - would have been much more impressive, and relevant to your topic.

Wonderful how many contributions have been made in the short time since you started this thread.

42 minutes ago, Interested said:

The answer is Ribecourt Road, Trescault; 

I wish I'd stood on the wall and taken a picture across the valley - would have been much more impressive, and relevant to your topic.

Wonderful how many contributions have been made in the short time since you started this thread.

Thanks matey, I may well have been past it, and several of the others on a previous trip heading from Bourlon Wood towards Le Transloy but I had no recollection. I'm wondering if anyone has stood on the wall and taken the view? By coincidence I will lower the photographic standard of the thread again tomorrow in a very similar vein. And you are absolutely correct - wonderful is the word. Thanks to everyone who has posted.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Sly said:

the only surviving exemplar of a French Schneider tank

Magnifique Sly, la seule chose qui manque est le béret........:D

From near one of the German bunkers in the New Zealand memorial garden on Messines Ridge, looking downhill and westish:

tn_AA2_7323.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Interested's point about not standing on the wall to take a photo and Dai's rather artistic piece of wood with Neuve Eglise in the background prompt me to post this one. For some reason all my photos from either the New Zealand Memorial or the Messines cemetery like this one seem drawn to Kemmel. As a consequence I have achieved the seemingly impossible feat of taking photos without a clear view of either Spanbroekmolen or Ontario Farm; it takes talent to be this talentless.

Does anyone have photos taken from the cemetery wall looking towards Spanbroekmolen without the bushes in the way, and possibly a bit to the left with Ontario Farm and the pond which marks the mine which didn't leave a crater?905901777_KemmelfromMessines.JPG.4c156bfb81d6c6d9b3dd266b2bb0c896.JPG

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Serbo-Croat grammar

Pete, your original post looking from the Pozieres CWGC towards Bailiff Wood. Here's mine looking back.

spacer.png

Edited by horrocks

29 minutes ago, horrocks said:

Pete, your original post looking from the Pozieres CWGC towards Bailiff Wood. Here's mine looking back.

Nice shot.

1 hour ago, horrocks said:

Here's mine looking back

Beautiful Toby; mine is a snap, that is art.

Pete.

Just to amplify the whole looking back the other way theme this is the view back from Spanbroekmolen to the cemetery on the main ridge. I can actually see the three trees that are in the way of the Peace Pool in my other one irritatingly, and I can see exactly where I should have taken an additional photo from. The cemetery is half way between the church and the new tower and is just to the right of a large building with a red roof. The flat Lys valley is off to the right with the tower blocks of downtown Lille on the horizon.

This one also serves to lower the average quality of the photos posted so far, but not by much given that there are a lot of crackers......

Pete.

1282332234_SpanbroekmolentoMessinesandLille(cropped).jpg.c1576defa973caae92a71c071eb188a9.jpg

Edited by Fattyowls

Redan Ridge No. 1 to back of Serre Road No.2 and the Quadrangle; Redan Ridge No.1 to Redan Ridge No. 3 (left centre)with Beaumont Hamel beyong.

DSC04556.JPG

DSC04552.JPG

17 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Just to amplify the whole looking back the other way theme this is the view back from Spanbroekmolen to the cemetery on the main ridge. I can actually see the three trees that are in the way of the Peace Pool in my other one irritatingly, and I can see exactly where I should have taken an additional photo from. The cemetery is half way between the church and the new tower and is just to the right of a large building with a red roof. The flat Lys valley is off to the right with the tower blocks of downtown Lille on the horizon.

This one also serves to lower the average quality of the photos posted so far, but not by much given that there are a lot of crackers......

Pete.

1282332234_SpanbroekmolentoMessinesandLille(cropped).jpg.c1576defa973caae92a71c071eb188a9.jpg

A couple of shots "looking the other way" from south of Messines looking across the River Douve valley. June 2015

1. New Zealand memorial to the left of Messines church and Ireland Tower to the right.

2.Stinking Farm centre, Wytschaete on horizon top left, Messines off to the right of photo

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

Edited by dickaren
Date added

Outstanding contributions gang; thank you all.

2 hours ago, dickaren said:

Stinking Farm centre

211561334_StinkingFarmSign(AustralianNationalWarMemorial).jpg.4179e1827d3250d3c54ab9ebd26e157b.jpg

We just need a sign to point it out - this is from the Australian National War memorial

Pete

Guillemont Road cemetery looking west to Trones Wood and north to Delville Wood:

IMG_20190512_151820.jpg

IMG_20190512_151600.jpg

The High Wood from Caterpillar Valley cemetery (which isn't in Caterpillar Valley of course) view is a favourite of mine provided I can get the cable out of the frame. It makes me thing of two dates 14th July 1916 and 15th September, which I think is the period that the ground in between was fought over before the capture of the wood and the ridge. The Guillemont Road one is similar, I can't remember the date Trones Wood fell but the time period is similar. It makes them all the more poignant when I look at them.

Going back to the earlier ones somewhere in cyberspace is a professional photo of Beaumont Hamel cemetery and Redan Ridge 2 and 3 (I think) taken with a long lens from somewhere in the field opposite Hawthorn Ridge cemetery which really foreshortens the distance between them.

Thanks to @Sly  reminding us that there was stuff going on further south in the Argonne. I remember being at the site of the Lost Battalion on a hot day in June; I remember the hum of the insects which led us to leave quickly.

And two cracking views of Messines from angles I'd not seen before by @dickaren and a moving headstone by @Ghazala, that is a sub-section all of it's own. Becourt-Becordel if the CWGC is to believed?

Pete

• Admin

Guillemont Road 

IMG_0614.JPG