Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

36718 Saper Angus Findlay 101 Field Co Royal Engineers

lyndaf

Hi  and hope you are all well

my grandpa angus Findlay was a  Lce/ Cpl MM in 101st RE, 23 div  and was at contalmaison and fricourt at the somme 1916, where he got gassed ~4th july. I wanted to  know

a little a bit more about them and the role between the RE and the infantry. Why were they called "rogues"

many thanks. 

i've still have to find out about grandpa at the somme and the character of the re to the infantry.  Grandpa himself was a "fletcher" guy.  He didn't give anybody anything until something was passed to him. (from family stories)!

• spof changed the title to 36718 Saper Angus Findlay 101 Field Co Royal Engineers

As I am uncertain how much you know I will start with the picture on the ground.

Specifically that Fricourt had been captured on the 2nd July. However the woods immediately to the north east and Contalmaison beyond them remain in German hands. On the 3rd the former are taken, however there are strong German counterattacks from Contalmaison. Fighting continues on the 4th though the brunt of it is born by 17th Division and as far as I can tell 23rd Division was not engaged on the 4th July. It was however certainly engaged in the fierce fighting on the 5th July. (As an aside Contalmaison will not fall until late afternoon of the 10th)

Therefore I would suggest that your grandfather was involved in making preparations for the attack the following day. What precisely he was doing I can't say but I can guess. Perhaps he was laying telephone cables to assist in communications. Alternatively he could have been assisting in improving the support trenches to better allow the movement of troops. This could easily have been a hazardous job and I am sure others will give more information on this.

However one thing puzzles me. You state he was gassed on the 4th July. I have no evidence of Gas being used that day (though I am willing to be corrected). Instead I have heavy shellfire in that sector.

P

2 hours ago, lyndaf said:

Grandpa himself was a "fletcher" guy. 

He didn't give anybody anything until something was passed to him.

Hi lyndaf,

I haven't  come across either  of these terms before. What do they mean?

many thanks.

I was referring to the term fletcher as "Fletcher" in Porridge"!

I Have grandpa's war diary .  he was near Albert until he was ordered to the front ~4th-5th July but certainly in that week he was gassed , but it wasn't fatal .Later on that week the MO made a check and examined every RE that was in the 23rd div.

There's also a photo of the RE at the time which has the 101 /102 RE at Contalmaison trying to rebuild and clear the local church after the bombing.

Regards, 

Lyndaf