Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele Youtube film new today

Vista52

Note the offset duckboards as discussed in a recent thread,

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

One can't help but be moved by these images. I have a book of photos compiled by the Telegraph of the time for the entire conflict and the desolation and haunted expressions are desperate to see.

Coincidentally, I have just started watching the Passchendaele movie. Yes, I know it is a love story, but some of the sets and film of the Front seem quite well done in my opinion. Infinitely superior to the hugely disappointing 1917. It does seem a bit of a montage of many photos that date to the time, but I think it worked quite well.

@Vista52  Got me a little excited there at the prospect of a new Passchendaele movie.....then noticed it was YouTube...and finally realized it was mine!  Damn, I am so disappointed ;-)

5 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

@Vista52  Got me a little excited there at the prospect of a new Passchendaele movie.....then noticed it was YouTube...and finally realized it was mine!  Damn, I am so disappointed ;-)

Please don't be disappointed Edward. I think this is your best to date! I follow you on YouTube and love what you do. I did wonder how I got advance notification and I guess now I know. Thx  :thumbsup:

Beautifully done - have just watched it through to the end.

It's excellent, a great way to get the best out of original b/w stills. I had a happy session relating the grid references in the aerial shots around Polygon to the map - fascinating, as ever. 

Many thanks to all concerned.

I occasionally do a 'premiere'....that is scheduling a video in advance, and YouTube creates a page for the Premiere, notifying you if you are subscribed to my channel. -thanks for doing so.

Glad you mates liked the show!  @Old Forge @WhiteStarLine @Vista52  - Ted

12 hours ago, Old Forge said:

session relating the grid references in the aerial shots around Polygon

Yes, while the aerial photos are south of Zonnebeke, they give a good overview of the Flanders country.  Interesting to see that the overall face of the landscape would be recognisable to the original combatants.

image.png.48f699047c11d5dead9f424bbe956466.png

11 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Interesting to see that the overall face of the landscape would be recognisable to the original combatants.

Absolutely. Other than fewer trees around Bellewaarde lake and the loss of the distinctive farm south-east of Westhoek, little change. My suspicion is that for those there in 1914, the biggest difference now would be the bigger fields and lack of hedgerows.

I forgot to say before that the moment when a tired Brig Loomis cracks into a broad smile is magic.

I love that photo of Sir Frederick..... @Old Forge.....especially following the one with no smile.

His story is still very relevant today....I have been trying to help the family recover his Claymore....

Was once donated to the Black Watch Museum by the Loomis family, but like so many of their possessions, secreted away....

Circa 1980....it was on it's way back to Canada (from Germany), and was mere hours away from being returned to the Black Watch when some disreputable Pipe Major took it back to Germany again....he was married to a German woman, and we suspect her family sold it to collectors.

5 minutes ago, ejwalshe said:

I have been trying to help the family recover his Claymore....

Good luck with the search, @ejwalshe, it's a travesty that the BW managed to lose it, whoever is to blame.

I have to agree. There is no disappointment in seeing your own work up for all to admire. I am currently in week 208 of the Great War that was produced to mark the 100 year anniversary. It is truly fascinating, but I shall be sure to nip over to your You Tube Channel and subscribe.

I have also bought an interesting book on Mapping the First World War. A pity it is not about 4x bigger so I can see the maps properly. I am sure you stalwarts are already familiar but I am quite new to delving into all things WW1.