Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

76mm Minenwerfer restoration

kwacker

Have filled and repainted my shell but struggling to find what bands or markings it may have had. I know the message shell version had 3 black bands but struggling to find what the shrapnel version was marked with (if anything). This is it alongside my restored 60pdr HE.

regards Nick

AF06E8CA-EF43-4734-A426-31EFC12E88A9.jpeg

Many thanks for the info. I assumed that the because the fuze had timings it was a shrapnel shell but your information matches my Fuze numbers so it must be HE. Will get to work adding the correct 3 black bands.

Thanks again, Nick

I have a 76mm minen projectile which I acquired from a private museum in France many years ago.  I think the paint is original.  The fuze is complete including all the internals except the explosive components! - Cheers SW

DSCN0907.JPG

1 hour ago, calibre792x57.y said:

I have a 76mm minen projectile which I acquired from a private museum in France many years ago. 

A pleasure to see such a fine example. Any chance of some images of the body stampings? Thank you.

I'm using a pocket camera which is a bit limited, However I can only see three sets of digits on the body, one of which appears to be a date. The fuze has the W.M.Z stamp and K over S 1917.  The body date appears to me to be 12 6? 16.  I hope the photo  shows more.  The gaine now empty is painted black.- SW

DSCN0911.JPG

Edited by calibre792x57.y

Well here’s my completed example. Was quite a rough example to start with so took quite a bit of work to make it back to this condition. 

C5BC4E9F-7C19-4939-9D9A-C3E6C436DDBD.jpeg

84C6B79B-1FE0-4729-AB27-72318CB18E1D.jpeg

You just need to add one of these with it

Cheers

Minnie.JPG.07288dc942d1b8d54a64f5e211b05afd.JPG

• 8 months later...

I am restoring a 76mm minenwerfer - that is the mortar itself. Does anyone have the exact paint colour? Was the 1918 variegated camouflage used on minenwerfers?

20190513_093229.jpg

This is in a county museum at Washburn, North Dakota USA. Lots of captured weapons were brought to the US and given to communities for display. Unfortunately many were destroyed in scrap drives during WW2. This little beauty survived.

Braxton, trip to Washburn, ND Aug 2018 (8).jpg

Braxton, trip to Washburn, ND Aug 2018 (1).jpg

Thank you. Nice photo and that minnie is in excellent condition. I fear though it looks like its been repainted at some point in its journey. 

I also have restored a 76mm MW.  I have never seen photos of a cameo one, and there was no evidence on mine that it ever had been painted anything but fledgrau.

new3.2

RAL 7009 Grungrau is a reasonable off-the-shelf modern equivalent of a WWI German type Feldgrau paint colour. Here’s an M16 helmet I painted with it:

The first time I saw the minenwerfer at the county museum it was outside with some horse-drawn  plows. It looked a little forgotten. If I had been the Incredible Hulk I could have hidden it in my feldgrau hands and run home with it. I am sure it has been restored with a decent (historically accurate?) paint job, since it looks better than I remember. Whether this type of restoration is the right thing to do can be debated. As for me, I would thank the person who did some nice, careful work on it. And brought it inside to escape the awful North Dakota winters. It was the highlight of my visit.

Thanks guys, there are certainly a lot of minenwerfers (mine throwers in German) out there. The one in the AWM is interesting with field grey wheels and green everything else. I have seen photos of camo ones that seem to be original paint scheme. I think there is one in Brussels. However mine was captured in 1917 so am inclined to paint it either the drab green or feldgrau. I was lucky enough to source some original wheels for it. All I need now are the tool kit, muzzle cover, and carrying poles!

• 8 months later...

A few more photos of the trench mortar in Washburn, North Dakota USA. The local American Legion wants to display it outdoors. I hope the plate photos are useful.

20210825_111620.jpg

20210825_111605.jpg

20210825_111543 (2).jpg

20210825_111548 (2).jpg

20210825_111648.jpg

20210825_111701 (2).jpg

20210825_111709.jpg

On 17/05/2020 at 18:49, kwacker said:

Many thanks for the info. I assumed that the because the fuze had timings it was a shrapnel shell but your information matches my Fuze numbers so it must be HE. Will get to work adding the correct 3 black bands.

Thanks again, Nick

It looks as though the weapon was normally used with the T&P fuse which could be set to give a delay of between 7-24 seconds. Below 400 yds, it was set to 7 seconds. Perhaps, given the low velocity of the projectile and/or the softness of the ground, using a time fuse was the most reliable method for exploding the HE shell? It could also fitted with a percussion fuse and, perhaps, fitted with this when used later in the war against tanks?

The restoration is going well. I managed to source some original wheels from Belgium and some ammo boxes from England. The rusted material has been professional repaired. The base plate will never turn again though as it was kept outside for many decades and has been too damaged.  I'm yet to paint it but I like seeing the bare metals of the barrel assembly which have been sandblasted and coated with a clear finish. 

Chuck - those photos of the minenwerfer in Washburn are fantastic. Don't let them store it outside! I've never seen an example with the range tables screwed to the minenwerfer. 

20210531_103424.jpg

20210531_103550.jpg

Great photos- nice piece.  Do you know of anyone reproducing the range tables for this mortar?  I would like a repro set, and also have never seen a set on any monument guns or private collections.

new3.2

• 1 year later...

The 76mm minenwerfer baseplate had a graduated ring with 640 graduations. These were used to aim the minenwerfer in the right direction. The graduations are numbered in every multiple of 10. I am going to have some replica rings made. My only problem is that the example I have is so corroded that I can't tell if the graduation numbered after 630 and before 10 is "640" or "0". Does anyone a definite answer to this by way of another example?

20230121_133056.jpg

20230121_133114.jpg

20230301_203103.jpg

Edited by 1st AIF
Clarification

26 minutes ago, 1st AIF said:

The 76mm minenwerfer baseplate had a graduated ring with 640 graduations. These were used to aim the minenwerfer in the right direction. The graduations are numbered in every multiple of 10. I am going to have some replica rings made. My only problem is that the example I have is so corroded that I can't tell if the graduation numbered after 630 and before 10 is "640" or "0". Does anyone a definite answer to this by way of another example?

20230121_133056.jpg

20230121_133114.jpg

20230301_203103.jpg

I should be revising for a test but oh well.
Tried some computer-savvy tricks and I think

[I think that's the order of numbering..]
But not having an example to help me confirm this hinders the accuracy of my statement
I must say, the corrosion is quite bad.

Probably not the right answer, so a premature apology on my behalf might be in order..
Zidane.