Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military history book sale

joerookery

Keith Roberts told me to do this and then report my posting as it would get the attention of the mods.

Starting tomorrow Monday, May 18 you will be able to buy military history books from our Publisher at a 30- 40% discount. As most of the members know, both Dennis Showalter and I have argued with the publisher, McFarland, for a year over their pricing. McFarland exceeded our wildest dreams and you can take advantage of their generosity for one week. For US addresses, there will be a 40% discount for any military history book in the McFarland catalog but you will have to pay six dollars in shipping. For our book instead of paying $45 you would pay $27. Just apply the coupon code MILITARY40 check out. https://mcfarlandbooks.com/shop/military/

For those members outside of the United States McFarland’s partner, based in the United Kingdom, is offering a 30% discount with free shipping worldwide. So yes, if you live in Australia they will post the product shipping free with a 30% discount if you enter the coupon code MILITARY40 at checkout.  I will book which lists on Amazon.com UK add £40 Will sell for £30 a £10 savings. https://www.eurospanbookstore.com/browse-our-books/history.html?___SID=U&ajax=0&cat=2038&q=&store=

We of course would recommend that you use this opportunity to purchase our book “German failure in Belgium, August 1914.” It has been reviewed by no less an expert then Dr. Jack Sheldon in the pages of Stand To! As of this book will revolutionize your thoughts about early world war one, not having read this will put you at a serious disadvantage in many of our discussions.   https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/the-german-failure-in-belgium-august-1914/  But remember that this is for any military history book, not just ours.

Feel free to spread the word to any military history site that you might think would be interested. As with all things technical somethings will hit a glitch. If you encounter he problem, no matter how small, Bring it to the attention of Beth Cox Assistant Marketing Manager

McFarland -- bcox@mcfarlandpub.com  

Send an email to her and she will resolve the problem quickly for both the US and European sites. They are aware that our book is not on the European site. That is supposed to be fixed Monday but send Beth an email if you are interested in the title and she will straighten it out.

cover book 5.jpg

• joerookery changed the title to Military history book sale

Just to be clear, I passed a message about this to the Mods for their consideration.I did NOT tell Joe, who is a good bloke, to post this.if Joe misunderstood my post, sorry Joe.

Keith

Glad you sent the information to the mods! Thanks Keith

Major major change. This morning I was informed that the worldwide site is offering the 30% discount for the German failure book only, not the entire catalog. The coupon code is MILITARY30  which is a change from 40. Sorry about the confusion but I was wrongly informed.

Thanks Joe but just tried now on the Eurospan site and both codes (MILITARY30/MILITARY40) show as "invalid".

Thank you sir. I will scamper off and try to fix this. From my side this has been a comedy of errors. Sort of like aa Greek tragedy. If you would like to take it vantage of it in the meantime send an email to Beth bcox@mcfarlandpub.com saying that MILITARY30 does not work and she will fix it for you to receive the book. Sorry. Egg on my face.

You are absolutely correct. The coupon code did not work it is fixed now. MILITARY30

Many thanks again - just ordered and look forward to reading.

Thanks I have wanted this book for some time but the price put me off. Have now ordered with the coupon code.

Regards

Peter

• 1 month later...

So anybody got any feedback about content?

I mention in Post 9 that I had ordered the book. This is true I had ordered the book via the internet with McFarland European partner Eurospanbookstore in London, at the time I ordered and paid, their website mentioned that the book was in stock. I used the code very kindly offered and did indeed receive 30% off the price. This on the 20 May.

Days pass and I hear nothing, I phone nobody answers but leave a message, I e mail never receive a reply. Weeks pass and repeat previous steps several times. On Thursday last I phone [again] and at last someone answers. They claim to know nothing about any of my previous left phone message or e mails. They have no stock of the book and do not know when they will next receive stock. I then mention in that case I would like to cancel my order and receive a refund and I will purchase the book via Amazon where it is claimed they [or their supplier] have stock.

The voice on the phone said he needs to speak to the manager and he will phone me back today. Yesterday, Friday the phone rings it is [it is claimed] the manager. They have found a copy of the book and it will be delivered to me on Monday.

I await Monday with interest.

Regards

Peter

I am terribly sorry about that. Even though I had nothing to do with it I feel somewhat responsible. All I can do is send  your experience to the marketing people at McFarland.

Unfortunately I have had the same experience with the Eurospan Bookstore - the book was ordered and paid for in May but it continually shows as on back-order. My e-mails are not answered and now their web-site is down.

Perhaps then my expectation of the book being delivered tomorrow are a tad optimistic.

Regards

Peter

I really do not know Peter. I wrote to McFarland but being a weekend they have not yet responded.

Joe,

My post was in reply to Post 13. I have just checked and Eurospan website is down. However we will wait and see must not be too downhearted yet.

Re your post 12. I know this has nothing to do directly with you. You were very kind to arrange and inform us about the discount code. The book is one I have have wanted for a little while but the [original] price had put me off.

Regards

Peter

Peter, thank you for that but I do feel responsible. It is sort of a reputation thing. From the beginning dr. Showalter and I were teaching marketing 101 pro bono. The cover price was so astronomical that it as Jack Sheldon said: the book did not get the readership it deserved. The publisher was unmoved. I think it could have sold several hundred copies in the UK alone. Even today in the USA it is significantly cheaper on Amazon then from the publishers bookstore. The royalties are absolutely inconsequential to us. But if you say something you should at least stand behind it. So I apologize. I will put a question on the Imperial German History website [which is quite active] to see how many of those people have had similar experiences.

If I may ask, did your bank disperse the funds to the European bookstore?

Joe,

Yes I ordered and paid online with Eurospan website and paid by Debit Card and the money was deducted from my bank the same day. Worse case scenario I can claim back via my bank for non delivery or failed company.

I understand  the point about a 'Reputation Thing' but at the end of the day if Eurospan are in some way at fault it is nothing that can be directly your fault. 

Regards

Peter

Joe,

Thank you for your concern and I would just like to second Peter's sentiments. The amount was also charged to my card on the day of the order (20 May) but this can also be claimed back eventually, though I would rather have have the book.

Kind regards,

Geoffrey

Geoffrey,

I will keep you posted when I get a response. It regularly has to go through two middleman. Yes marketing 101

V/R

Joe

Well I am unsure if I am shocked, surprised or a combination of both. Needless to say the book did not arrive today. I believe deep down I did not really expect it to, and this just reinforces in me the poor standard of customer relations that this company has. I have just checked their website and it is back up and running but the book is shown as 'Nil Stock' and they do not know when they might receive more copies. Strange then that someone phoned me Friday to say they had a copy and it will be or has been posted out and I will receive it Monday [today].

I think, sadly, that I will start to phone again [see the phone bill increase at the end of the month] and when ever I manage to talk to someone I will cancel my order and ask for refund, which is a shame.

Regards

Peter

Just a quick update - the Eurospan web-site is down again and neither telephone number I found on-line is currently working. As they will not respond to e-mails and cannot be contacted by telephone it's back to the card issuer for a refund. Very disappointing.

Kind regards,

Geoffrey

This is the response I received this morning. As mentioned previously, it goes through several middlemen. 

We were initially sent stock of an old version of the book which we couldn’t book in. So we ordered more stock hoping that we’d be able to fly the stock over, but due to the severely limited transatlantic airfreight available at the moment, that was not possible so the books came by sea instead. I’ve received confirmation that copies are arriving at our warehouse today and so the orders should be dispatched within the next few days. “