Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Time Women

channelhopper

Just thought I would post a letter which is in York's 'Evening Press' tonight.

If anybody can help please contact the writer not me please.

Letter reads :

I am conducting historical research for a book based on the history of the Army audit pay and financial services during the First World War, in particular the female staff employed on a temporary basis during the conflict.

The command pay office was responsible for the finance and audit of accounts of Northern

Command.

The role of women in white collared occupations during the First World War has been a neglected

topic in the history of the period.

I would be grateful if any local historian can give me information about the shortage of accommodation for use by the Army Pay department at York, which resulted in the War Office commandeering local municipal buildings, including swimming baths and schools, or places of entertainment, cinemas and music halls, for example.

Again I should be interested if any local reader, or historian, has photographs relating to the staff or the buildings associated with the Army or command pay office at York, or has any historical information about Mrs Ada Leila Gary, who was a superintendent at the Army pay office and awarded an MBE in 1920 for her wartime services.

I would reimburse any postal expenses.

Dr John Black

2 St Margaret's Drive

Henleaze

Bristol

BS9 4LW

Can anyone help him?