Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confused by this hospital record!

DuncanBro

Can someone help me interpret this document please. I'm researching Ashman, fourth from the top. Is this a record of him being admitted to the Hospital Ship St Patrick or 31 Ambulance Train, and why on at Marsailles and off at Le Havre? I'm confused by what I'm looking at. Any advice very welcome. 

Thank you. 

Duncan. 

Duncan - Ashman AW Hospital Admission.pdf

The top eleven names on the page are all suffering from heat stroke, and as they were landed at Marsailles they possibly came from Egypt/Middle East and then taken to Le Havre by 31 Ambulance Train for the journey to England.

John

Hi, thanks for that. I was a bit confused by the St Patrick reference too, and the dates. First time I've come across hospital records before, so not sure what I'm looking at. Yes, my man Ashman was in the 1/4th Somerset Light Infantry, so had been in the Middle East. 

Just to add some more from Le Havre base.

31 AT arrived 13:00 With 87 ranks, cot cases, 346 ranks sitting cases. All embarked St Patrick which had arrived 12:00 EXCEPT 133 sitting cases who went to No. 4 Conv. depot.

St Patrick left 16:00 with 90 cot & 210 sitting cases.

Seems all train traffic to Le Havre at this time was from Marseilles, generally 2 trains per day.

TEW

30 minutes ago, TEW said:

Just to add some more from Le Havre base.

31 AT arrived 13:00 With 87 ranks, cot cases, 346 ranks sitting cases. All embarked St Patrick which had arrived 12:00 EXCEPT 133 sitting cases who went to No. 4 Conv. depot.

St Patrick left 16:00 with 90 cot & 210 sitting cases.

Seems all train traffic to Le Havre at this time was from Marseilles, generally 2 trains per day.

Fantastic, thanks, that's really interesting.