Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German unit location, Ypres 31st July 1917

gnr.ktrha

Hello,
        Does anyone have any maps or information which shows where the Imperial German 38th Infantry Division was in the salient in July 1917? In particular I am interested in the 94th Infantry Regiment {94th (5th Thuringian) Infantry "Grand Duke of Saxony"}. So far all I have been able to find is that the Infantry Regiment 95 of the 38th Division was in the line from Westhoek to the Ypres–Roulers railway. Did the division also hold positions north of the Railway line?
              I am researching a small group of documents and militaria to a man from the 94th and am keen to find out as much as I can about either the regiment or the division. I have found a lot of general info about both on line, but nothing which gives exact locations. He served with the regiment during the campaigns of 1914, then returns to Germany and eventually returns to his regiment when they move to Verdun and continued to serve with them until the end of the war.
              Another aspect I am keen to find out about is his regiment was in the line at near Passchendaele on the 3rd of December 1917, when they came under attack from the Allies. Does anyone know which allied units were involved in this attack/action?
               Many thanks,
                       Stewart

Hello,

IR 94 was in the sector Verlorenhoek, just north of the railway.

IR 94 was also in the line just south of IR 95 on 3 December 1917. For information about this attack, I recommend the book "A moonlight massacre" by Michael Locicero.

Jan

That's great Jan. Do you have any additional details about the area they were holding, or do you know if their part of the line was a similar length to that held by the 95th? Are there any other books you would recommend which mention the 94th?
             Does A Moonlight Massacre mention which Allied troops or division which were involved in the action?
            Very many thanks,
                          Stewart 

I recommend the regimental history: Alexander von Hartmann. Das Infanterie-Regiment Großherzog von Sachsen (5. Thüringisches) Nr. 94 im Weltkrieg. Berlin, 1921, 292 p.

"A Moonlight Massacre" is over 500 pages, just about this 3 December 1917 affair. Michael Locicero has done a great job to research everything in great detail.

Jan

Good morning Jan,
                              Thank you very much for your recommendations, I will follow both of them up. The 94th History might be a bit beyond me as I only know a little German, but then it would be a good excuse to try and learn more.
                Charlie,
                            Thank you very much for the map extracts and the link to the website. The maps are great and are exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see. I am now of to send some time looking at the website and see what else I can find.
                Thank you both very much,
                             Kind regards,
                                      Stewart

• 5 weeks later...

Stewart

My GU was killed at Verlorenhoek on 25th July 1917.

It’s a long shot but I received some help on this thread which mentions IR94.

regards

David