Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Mary's Church, Elland & Elland Cemetery!

RFT

Am seeking a photograph of St Mary's Church, Elland together with a photo of the grave of the late Percy Armitage who passed away May 1980, aged 88.  Can anyone help with my request?

Mr Armitage is subject of a recent topic in "Air Personnel & The War in the Air."

Rob

Edited by RFT

Thanks to David and also to Barry for responding.

David - I'm not a member of Facebook but will endeavour to make contact with St Mary Elland.  Will also check out Wikipedia.

Barry - The tree to which you refer is probably that previously highlighted in the topic for Percy Armitage.  I cannot get access to the tree but will now apply for Ancestry membership and will let you know what transpires.

Thanks again,

Rob

• Admin

Rob

If you would pm me your contact details I would happily pass on a message for you via Facebook.

David

I am indebted to David Owen who, during the course of the afternoon, has unearthed the following -

Seemingly St Mary Elland churchyard was closed to Burials in the 19th-century.  A glance at Deceased Online, suggests Mr Armitage was interred in Elland Cemetery (and not the churchyard).  It may be wishful thinking on my part but if anyone is able to provide the photo of the grave I would be most grateful.

Rob

• Admin

To add a little more detail to Rob's request Percy (of 50 South Parade, Elland) is buried in a bricked grave number 34, Section A of the cemetery. Unfortunately Deceased Online states no map available for that cemetery so I cannot be more precise.

6 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Rob

You may be aware of this, public tree on Ancestry..... https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/12172056/person/26008503073/facts

Regards Barry

Barry, 

Have, this afternoon, joined Ancestry (2 weeks free membership).  Certainly more information here than was hitherto known to me.  Very much appreciate the prompt.

Check out my updated topic Percy Armitage (GWF Air Personnel etc).

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there Rob,

I have this afternoon sent a request to Calderdale Council ref the position of Section A in Elland Cemetery but it might take awhile due to the virus.

I only live about 8 miles from the cemetery so if there is nothing by the weekend I will nip along and have a look around.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger,

Your post has come as a complete surprise.  Have been active with other GWF topics over the past couple days and have to admit to overlooking this one.

I very much appreciate your kind offer and am keeping fingers crossed for good weather.

Regards,

Rob

My pleasure and I have not visited the forum as much with other matters taking precedence, now starting to level up.

Hello there Rob,

I have posted a PM to you with attachments regarding Percy Armitage.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger,

Have just this minute responded by PM.  

May I publicly record my thanks to you and to your family for the time and help given me.  Your photos will now form part and parcel of the comprehensive file I hold on this gentleman.  Given your interest in the subject, I will certainly keep you informed of any further relevant information which may come my way.

Best regards,

Rob