Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

31877 Pte William Whittaker Chesire Reg

Nath

Hi guys , I recently acquired the aboves kings south Africa medal , 3318 Pte W Whittaker Loyal North Lancs Reg found his stuff on ancestry , this particular request is if anyone can help please with the link to the soldier named in title itbwas told FMP has some documents online but I only have subscription to ancestry so MIC is all i can see , if anyone can help with any info regarding his ww1 service that would be fantastic and most appreciated 

all the best and thanks again 

If you have a subscription to Ancestry have you checked for his service record? If it survives it should note previous service and probably with which Regt. I assume you think they are one and the same man so what info do you have that leads to this conclusion? Whatever you have may be better posted to avoid members treading old ground or following red herrings.

Simon

I don't have access to FMP, but I can see that he was born c1873 and was from Accrington, resident Bromley, Lancashire. Enlisted 1891.

The same man appears to have 1914 papers, aged 42, with the number 4627, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

So is 31877 Cheshire Regt a descendant/relative or not connected at all?

Simon

There's a good chance.

31877 has 1914 Special Reserve Attestation/ pension papers on Ancestry. He's also 42 and was born in Clayton Le Moors, Lancashire. The papers describe him as Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

I haven't got access to that either, but the attestation should state previous service - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=989786&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ayp1040&_phstart=successSource

8 hours ago, mancpal said:

If you have a subscription to Ancestry have you checked for his service record? If it survives it should note previous service and probably with which Regt. I assume you think they are one and the same man so what info do you have that leads to this conclusion? Whatever you have may be better posted to avoid members treading old ground or following red herrings.

Simon

Hi simon thanks for your reply I was told by someone else it was the same man who uses FMP,  I couldn't locate anything on ancestry so knowing the amount of knowledge here I thought I would enquire 

All the best 

7 hours ago, IPT said:

There's a good chance.

31877 has 1914 Special Reserve Attestation/ pension papers on Ancestry. He's also 42 and was born in Clayton Le Moors, Lancashire. The papers describe him as Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

I haven't got access to that either, but the attestation should state previous service - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=989786&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ayp1040&_phstart=successSource

Thanks mate that is the man , thanks for locating those , just been on and checked those papers , that is the man many thanks 

A quick search on family search shows two William Whittakers b 1872 resident in Accrington and one in Clayton le moors.

Clayton Le Moors is son of William and Tabitha he's a cotton weaver. Accrington you can have Richard and Margaret (he's a joiner) and George and Ann.(he's a butcher).

b1873 resident in Accrington gives you Thomas and Elizabeth and blacksmith. b 1871 is William Henry, cotton weaver. All of these are with their parents in 1891.

The joiner is still in Accrington in 1901, Clayton le Moors is a cotton weaver in 1911, I'm guessing the blacksmith b in Accrington may be the iron worker resident in Accrington1901. These are all married.

So the butcher son of George and Ann is your best bet. I haven't found him in either 1901 or 1911.

there is a William Frederick Whittaker in Mill Hill Barracks in 1911 but his PoB is given as Bethnal Green 1872. so not your man.

I haven;t checked death records to see if the butcher died before then but there don;t seem to be any others in Accrington or Clayton le Moors b between 1871 and 1873