Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform and jumble of medals?

agedpink1

I'm sorry I can't give any further information due to the medals being in Liverpool and due to lockdown we cannot access them.

Regards Richard.

Richard

I understand the problem.

Simon

…..... initially I was reluctant to put my head above the parapet on this particular one.  To my mind the curious labelling and the pristine Jiffy bag in the photo smack of a well known auction site purchase.     

However ……let's cut to the chase Richard (agedpink1) …….as a GWF "one pip" you've been around long enough to know how things work. 

In rather blunt farming terms "Let the Bull see the Heifer"

As Frogsmile says  "Can you not ask whoever in Liverpool has the medals to look at the outer rim of the WW1 medal fitted with the rainbow ribbon and tell you the name and details inscribed?  The lettering is not so tiny that it’s impossible to read unless the reader has poor vision."

On 15/05/2020 at 20:35, agedpink1 said:

Thanks Gareth. I'm trying to find the information for a friend of mine whose mother died in early March, she was clearing out her house in Liverpool when she came across her Uncles medals and one photograph (he died in 1968). However my friend had to rush back from Liverpool due to the lockdown, so my information is a tad vague I'm afraid.

Regards Richard.

Hi Richard

Try again.  Can you confirm that Wilfred Leslie Watkins was your friend's uncle or her mother's uncle? What was your friend's mother's name?

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

23 hours ago, TullochArd said:

…..... initially I was reluctant to put my head above the parapet on this particular one.  To my mind the curious labelling and the pristine Jiffy bag in the photo smack of a well known auction site purchase.     

However ……let's cut to the chase Richard (agedpink1) …….as a GWF "one pip" you've been around long enough to know how things work. 

In rather blunt farming terms "Let the Bull see the Heifer"

As Frogsmile says  "Can you not ask whoever in Liverpool has the medals to look at the outer rim of the WW1 medal fitted with the rainbow ribbon and tell you the name and details inscribed?  The lettering is not so tiny that it’s impossible to read unless the reader has poor vision."

2 minutes ago, agedpink1 said:

Unfortunately the house in Liverpool is empty with everything packed in boxes so I can't get anyone to look at the medals, and I can assure you that these medals were not purchased from a well known auction site......…..

22 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Richard

Try again.  Can you confirm that Wilfred Leslie Watkins was your friend's uncle or her mother's uncle? What was your friend's mother's name?

Regards Barry

Richard,

If you can give me some details of  who lived at the address in Liverpool and the details requested above then perhaps it will lead to more information. If you don't wish to post on this thread then send me a PM, otherwise I'll leave it there.

Regards Barry 

Surely if the house is vacant and any information regarding the subject is contained within then under lockdown regulations it wouldn't be deemed as ''essential' at present (unless I've missed the point) to make a visit in order to sate the desires of GWF members. I'm sure when the details are available then the search will continue.

Simon

2 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Surely if the house is vacant and any information regarding the subject is contained within then under lockdown regulations it wouldn't be deemed as ''essential' at present (unless I've missed the point) to make a visit in order to sate the desires of GWF members. I'm sure when the details are available then the search will continue.

Simon

I agree Simon

Hi Richard and all,

The search can continue without the details off the medal. There are other angles to the Watkins family, which I have found, which could quite easily provide additional clues....however ....some confirmation is required.... willing to search but..over to you.

Regards Barry

2 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Richard and all,

The search can continue without the details off the medal. There are other angles to the Watkins family, which I have found, which could quite easily provide additional clues....however ....some confirmation is required.... willing to search but..over to you.

Regards Barry

Thanks Barry, I'll ask her for further information and get back to you

Regards Richard.

On 15/05/2020 at 20:35, agedpink1 said:

Thanks Gareth. I'm trying to find the information for a friend of mine whose mother died in early March, she was clearing out her house in Liverpool when she came across her Uncles medals and one photograph (he died in 1968). However my friend had to rush back from Liverpool due to the lockdown, so my information is a tad vague I'm afraid.

Regards Richard.

Hi Richard,

The plot thickens.....could be the connection to the WW2 Naval badge....

(he died in 1968) ?????? There is a Wilfred Watkins (Wilfred Leslie Watkins) b.1895(1939 register..12.4.1894) died 14.2.1968 buried 21.2.68 @ Ford Cemetery, Sefton Park, Liverpool. His wife Ellen b.1896 (1939  register 17.6.1896) d.28.9.1969 buried in the same plot No. JOC152.   See ..https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/177531447/ellen-watkins.   and   https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/177531322/wilfred-leslie-watkins    

Also buried in that plot is Michael Aloysius Burke b.14.8.1900., Garston, Liverpool died. 26.6.1944 Fazakerley Sanitorium. home address 43 Lambton Road, Aigburth, Liverpool. Michael was the First Radio Officer on SS.Bellerophon. Probate to wife Winifred Mary Burke   see    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61094/45947_0004-01067?pid=37254&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid%3D61094%26h%3D37254%26indiv%3Dtry%26o_vc%3DRecord:OtherRecord%26rhSource%3D2352&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.209748880.488423454.1589499005-1783877415.1578070585........    looking 177531322_1489957720.jpg

1901 census on Ancestry....wrong...see previous page for rest of  Michael's family. Looking for the connection..not known, as it says on grave records....YET!

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Richard

Following on from above.....

Ellen(a) Williams married Wilfred L Watkins , West Derby, Lancs 3rd qtr 1920, Catholic records has baptism for Ellena Williams father Samuel, mother Elizabeth (McGreby) 30.6.1896. Margin states m Wilfrido Watkins  19.12.20. 1911 census Ellen Williams living with Aunty Susan McGREVEY and father and mother and 4 siblings at 128 Park Rd., Liverpool...looking

Michael A Burke married Mary W Williams April 1926, Liverpool, 8b, 439.    ???? Ellen' s sister? Probate shows estate to widow Mary Winifred Burke

...looking... 1901 census Michael Burke is at 54 Vulcan Street, Garston, Liverpool with his family, father Thomas, mother Bridget and 3 siblings...... 

1911, 70 Saunby St., Garston, Liverpool with family.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

9 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Richard

Following on from above.....

Ellen(a) Williams married Wilfred L Watkins , West Derby, Lancs 3rd qtr 1920, Catholic records has baptism for Ellena Williams father Samuel, mother Elizabeth (McGreby) 30.6.1896. Margin states m Wilfrido Watkins  19.12.20. 1911 census Ellen Williams living with Aunty Susan McGREVEY and father and mother and 4 siblings at 128 Park Rd., Liverpool...looking

Michael A Burke married Mary W Williams April 1926, Liverpool, 8b, 439.    ???? Ellen' s sister? Probate shows estate to widow Mary Winifred Burke

...looking... 1901 census Michael Burke is at 54 Vulcan Street, Garston, Liverpool with his family, father Thomas, mother Bridget and 3 siblings...... 

1911, 70 Saunby St., Garston, Liverpool with family.

Regards Barry

That's Brilliant thank you. My friends Mum's full name was Mary Eileen Burke. She was born in 1939 and I think Michael and Mary Burke adopted her in 1944. By the way the Liam Thompson labels on the medals are from when my friends nephew took the medals into school for a project and they were labelled so he didn't lose them!

Regards Richard

On 15/05/2020 at 20:34, TEW said:

You have a WWI silver war badge in the jumble. Can't see a likely entry to Watkins. The SWB will have a number stamped on reverse which will ID the recipient, letter prefix also possible.

WWI victory medal will have recipient details on rim. 

TEW

Hi Richard,

I can't wait for  the above information. I have a few ideas I am currently working on which may identify the medal recipient(s)??? from another source. Need a bit more  time .

Regards Barry

20 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Richard,

I can't wait for  the above information. I have a few ideas I am currently working on which may identify the medal recipient(s)??? from another source. Need a bit more  time .

Regards Barry

Thanks Barry.

Regards Richard.

Hi all,

May be off topic but this is a main part of the thread.

Posts 37 and 38 ,First Radio Officer Michael Aloysius Burke, SS Bellerophon d. 26.6.1944. The WW2 medals on the photo may well be his. They were found at the home of his adopted daughter, (See post 39) Michael married Wilfred's sister and hence he is buried in the same grave as Wilfred and his wife Ellen. Can anyone access the Ancestry records    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=70692&h=9343&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=60526, I can't.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

3 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi all,

Posts 37 and 38 ,First Radio Officer Michael Aloysius Burke, SS Bellerophon d. 26.6.1944. The WW2 medals on the photo may well be his. They were found at the home of his adopted daughter, (See post 39) Michael married Wilfred's sister and hence he is buried in the same grave as Wilfred and his wife Ellen. Can anyone access the Ancestry records    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=70692&h=9343&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=60526, I can't.

Regards Barry

Fantastic information Barry thanks.

On 20/05/2020 at 22:03, The Inspector said:

Hi all,

Regards Barry

On the balance of probabilities this seems the most likely scenario to me too.  There’s a clear link there.  Short of the inquirer being able to provide more substantive and meaningful information I don’t think that this can go further in any profitable way.  It’s really quite extraordinary what has been dug up given the paucity of the information provided.  Yet another fantastic effort by the peerless genealogical detectives of this forum.  Kudos to you all.

Edited by FROGSMILE